SMU’s Director of Commencement Services passed away Friday

SMU News and Communication
This photo of Gretchen Voight was taken in January.

This photo of Gretchen Voight was taken in January. (SMU News and Communication)

SMU’s Director of Commencement Services Gretchen Voight passed away Friday evening from pneumonia complications.

Voight was diagnosed with pneumonia Thursday afternoon. She felt worse Friday and she made arrangements to stay with her friend Courtney Barrett. Before starting out for Barrett’s house, Voight collapsed and was transported to the hospital. Her condition worsened and in the hospital she stopped breathing. The medical team could not revive it.

“We are overwhelmed with grief and sadness. She was a precious gift from God who graced us with her beautiful spirit and presence,” Gretchen’s Corpus Christi Texas Association of College Registers and Admissions Offericers (TACRAO) Family said. “Words cannot express how much we loved and cared about Gretchen.”

Voight received the “TACRAO President’s Award” at the TACRAO annual conference in 2009 for her work ethic and outstanding service.

“May we all remember our colleague, friend and TACRAO Secretary, Gretchen Voight for her unbelievable wit, intellect, humor, charm and her passion to organization and detail. We were all so blessed that her beautiful life touched us all,” TACRAO President Beri O’Neal said.

Arrangements are currently pending.