Have our morals gone up in smoke?

Ed Board thinks we should keep these two men away from children

Ah, college. These are the days. Nights at the bar, mornings asleep on the desk and midterms creeping up. Yes, it is indeed that time of year again. While spring flourishes outside, 16-page papers on British Imperialism and exams beckon us to the classroom.

But Spring Break is just around the corner – or maybe you’re already there. (Those sending in “I’m sick” e-mails today and tomorrow, we’re pointing at you.) So just sit back with Ed Board for some good old-fashioned escapism. Like the kind mom used to give, or force you take, because this is really more of moral tale. This one is called “The up in Smoke Uncle.”

Recently, authorities arrested Demetris McCoy, 17, and his friend, Vanswan Polty, 18, both of Fort Worth, on suspicion of providing pot for a 2-year-old and a 4-year-old and videotaping their crazy escapades. Oh, and McCoy is also the children’s uncle.

Polty and McCoy are charged with two counts each of injury to a child. McCoy was in Tarrant County Jail on Tuesday, with bail set at $225,000. Polty also was in the Tarrant County Jail, with bail set at $150,000.

The children have been placed in foster care, officials said.

The incident came to light on Feb. 22 when police found the videotape at McCoy’s home in Watauga while serving a search warrant.

The video shows two men, Polty and McCoy, laughing as they light a “marijuana cigarette” for the children and hold it to their mouths.

The men also ask the children whether they “have the munchies” and call them “potheads.” The children are smoking, coughing and stumbling around. The children’s mother was asleep in another room when the incident happened, relatives have said.

Now, if this doesn’t win the Darwin Award this year, it’s at least going to be in the running. Ed Board is overwhelmed by the fact that anyone should have to step in here and point out how incredibly wrong this is (picture, if you can, us obnoxiously sighing), but it obviously needs to be done.

Granted, these kids are in high school, and while it isn’t exactly a parent-approved after-school activity, we would be remiss to not mention the lax position on pot where kids are concerned. It’s obvious a lot of people just don’t care, and that’s the real problem. Not only is it irresponsible to expose kids this young to drugs, it’s just altogether stupid.

On the bright side, though, McCoy eventually apologized for his behavior and justified playing the part of Uncle Chong with his nephews by saying that “everything is funny when you’re high.”