Take a stand; Take PRIDE

The crummy weather did not detour the runners, spectators and supporters of the Dallas Pride Run early Sunday morning.

The participants of the 5K run registered at Reverchon Park at 8:30 a.m., not worried about the light drizzle.  Instead, they stretched and prepared for the run, ready to display their pride to the world. The Dallas Pride Run is an annual event where gays, lesbians, bisexuals and others who support or are a part of the LGBT community  “celebrate” who they are. The event raises money for the AIDS Interfaith Network or AIN.

The network helps prevent the spread of HIV.  It supports and helps thousands of people in the North Texas area.   “The AIDS virus is becoming an epidemic. We come together today as a community to help reduce the dying numbers. That is the most important part of this run,” participant Michelle Alexandra said.

Alex, as she likes to be called, has run the race the past two years with her mother. She said they run to show their appreciation to AIN and to continue the fight against AIDS.

The turnout was great. There were also SMU students in attendance.

“I love this run, it makes you feel a part of something way bigger than you and your sexuality,” a SMU student, who asked not to be identified, said.

Members of the gay community who did not participate in the 5K enjoyed the Alan Ross Texas Freedom Parade. The parade, which takes place along Cedar Spring Road from Wycliff Avenue to Lee Park, was held after the run. Meghin Williams, a student from Nebraska, participated in the festivities with her long-time girlfriend.

Not sure that she wanted to go to the run at first, Williams said she was amazed that people could come together for a bigger cause and work so hard toward a common goal for people that they did not know. “This is my first year and it is amazing,” Williams said.  She said she was afraid there would be chaos and that the run was just thrown together, but when she arrived it was the total opposite.

“I love my girlfriend and I love PRIDE,” she yelled ecstatically.