Mustang lacrosse blanks Okla. St.

Don Johnson had an incredible game over the weekend, scoring a face-off percentage of 81 (50 percent is considered very good). The sophomore midfielder went 13 for 16 against Oklahoma State on Saturday afternoon. Johnson’s overall face-off percentage for the year totals 62 percent.

Johnson dominated his face-offs said Kimble Ratliff, the president of the team.

The Mustangs shut out the Cowboys 14-0. It was the first shutout for SMU in four years.

“We played four quarters and allowed zero goals; that’s a real testament to how well our defense played,” said head coach Tom Greene.

Oklahoma State is a relatively new team that doesn’t have a ton of experience, Greene added.

The team took about 20 players to Stillwater and a lot of the roster got playing time.

Sophomore midfielder Sam Sawyer had five goals and two assists against Oklahoma State, and sophomore attackman Jono Hiemenz had an additional four goals for a total of 15 goals this season.

On the way into Stillwater, the Mustangs decided to have a little fun. The men counted at least eight dead skunks on the side of the road.

Ratliff pulled over and put one of the dead skunks into sophomore defenseman Jon Daugherty’s bag.

The skunk rolled into Daugherty’s helmet and when he went to put it on, he got a surprise.

“He went ballistic,” said Ratliff.

“I’m going to get him back,” said Daugherty.

SMU’s next game is at home against Stanford University March 24, at 1 p.m. The team will face former Mustang James Bulerson-Porras who played for SMU last year.

Bulerson-Porras came to SMU in wake of Katrina, but transferred to Stanford last fall.