Women’s tennis to take on NMSU Aggies

The No. 45 women’s tennis team hosts New Mexico State Aggies on Saturday at the Garland Tennis Center at noon. The Mustangs beat Furman 5-2 Tuesday, making SMU 7-3 for the season (0-1 C-USA).

The Aggies are 5-6 this season and 2-0 in conference competition. New Mexico is part of the WAC conference. NMSU hosted UT-San Antonio on Feb. 24, losing 3-4. The Aggies take on UNT Friday before heading to Dallas to face SMU.

At the top of NMSU’s roster is Zelijka Juricek, playing No. 1 singles. The junior holds a 6-4 singles record, the best on the Aggie roster. She posted the only win for NMSU against UTSA, going 1-6, 6-4, 6-2 over Nathalie Wallin.

Against Furman, senior Jennifer Chay fell to Laura Gioia at No. 1, making her record 3-4 in dual matches this season. Junior Natalia Bubien took a win at No. 2 over Lauren Osborne and improved her record to 5-4 for the season. Chay and Bubien each took doubles wins, Bubien pairing with freshman Claire Reitsch at No. 1 and Chay partnering with freshman Pavi Francis at No. 2.

Reitsch holds SMU’s best singles record, 8-1, with her only loss coming from Carla Zabaleta of Tulsa. Francis isn’t far behind her teammate, with a record of 8-2. She also holds a 7-3 doubles record with partner Chay.

The Mustangs host their third consecutive match next Wednesday against rival TCU. SMU lost to TCU 7-0 last season when the Horned Frogs hosted the Mustangs in Fort Worth.