Omega Psi Pi sells out theater with step show

Omega Psi Phi hosted the first annual Homecoming Step Show at SMU in the Hughes-Trigg Theater on Nov. 7.

Traditionally step shows are a way for historically black fraternities and sororities to show each other what their organization is all about.

The Homecoming Step Show paired up Panhellenic, Interfraternity Council and Multicultural Greek Council fraternities and sororities with those in the National Pan-hellenic Council.

Kappa Alpha Psi was paired with the Pi Kappa Alpha, Omega Psi Phi with Sigma Phi Epsilon, Alpha Kappa Alpha with Delta Gamma, Zeta Phi Beta with Alpha Chi Omega, and Delta Sigma Theta with Kappa Delta Chi and Sigma Lambda Gamma

The fraternities and sororities had limited time to learn the step routines.

“We started practicing a week or like five days before the event; two hours a night, it was very intense,” said Shaun Moore, a senior Pi Kappa Alpha who performed in the step show.

Moore also said he liked being a part of the step show because he was able to learn a different way to express himself through dance.

According to John Nwisienyi, vice-president of Omega Psi Phi, the fraternity got the idea for the switch step show because the “SMU community was very divided and wanted to have an event where all the different groups could come together and have a true homecoming.” 

“It was more than a show since this type of thing never happens at SMU,” he said.

The auditorium was filled beyond capacity and more than 500 people were in attendance.

Omega Psi Phi hopes to use a bigger venue such as McFarlin Auditorium for next year’s Homecoming Step Show. 

“We achieved our goal but would like to do it on a larger scale next year,” said Kyle DeGroat, treasurer of Omega Psi Phi. 

Students who attended the show enjoyed themselves and said they can’t wait for next year’s show.

Jade Ramlal, a SMU first-year, said she thought it was amazing and “liked how the traditional black Greeks, white Greeks and Latinos got together” for the event. 

“I was lucky enough to sit in front. There was never a dull moment, lots of energy,” said Nicholas Thorpe, a SMU senior who came to support his Pi Kappa Alpha fraternity brothers performing in the show.