Secretarial Candidate

My name is Erika Briceno, and I want to be the next student body secretary. I am currently a first-year student triple majoring in international studies, foreign languages and economics with a minor in human rights. I am a Hunt Leadership Scholar, a member of the University Honors Program and one of the head ushers for the Tate Lecture Series. I have had the privilege to serve in senate as a first-year senator, as a member of the Student Senate Scholarship Committee and as an organizer of the Academic Advising Committee.

There are many things I hope to accomplish within senate. However, one thing must take precedence: communication. It is critical that senate improve the communication between the senators and their constituents. As student body secretary, I hope to improve the visibility of senate to the student body. I find it alarming that such a high percentage of students are unaware of what student senate does and who their senators are. This is a big issue that needs to be corrected within this campus in order for senate to fully accomplish its purpose.

Another big issue that I began addressing during the Drug and Alcohol Town Hall Forum in the fall semester is in regards to the lack of a student center. I believe the university could greatly benefit from a gathering place for students. This facility would be open late and on weekends for students to get some food and drinks, play some games or even watch television. I believe a center like this within the university would further improve the atmosphere on campus and become a great place for students to enjoy themselves and interact.

There are so many things that could and should be accomplished within Student Senate. As student body secretary, I want to make sure that all of these things and more do get accomplished.