State Department advises travelers

When traveling out of the country for any amount of time, U.S. citizens should visit the U.S. State Department’s Web site, state.gov, and check to see if they are traveling to a dangerous situation.

Travel warnings occur when there are “long-term, protracted conditions that make a country dangerous or unstable” or when there is a lack of U.S. government presence due to embassy closures or staff shortages, according to the State Department.
In simple terms, travelers to these countries should take caution.

Additionally, the State Department has set up a Web site targeted at students on Spring

Break: studentsabroad.state.gov. Students can find information and tips for overseas vacations.

The following countries have travel warnings:
Saudi Arabia
Pakistan
Sudan
Somalia
Mauritania
Chad
Mali
Sri Lanka
Nepal
Algeria
Colombia
Guinea
Lebanon
Cote d’Ivoire
Philippines
Democratic Republic of the Congo
Eritrea
Central African Republic
Kenya
Afghanistan
Burundi
Nigeria
Iran
Yemen
Uzbekistan
Iraq
Georgia
Haiti
Israel, the West Bank and Gaza

Mexico
More than 100,000 students travel to Mexico for Spring Break each year, according to the State Department.
Violence is prevalent along the U.S.-Mexico border. According to the State Department, “Mexican drug cartels are engaged in violent conflict—both among themselves and with Mexican security services—for control of narcotics trafficking routes along the U.S.-Mexico border.”
The State Department urges extreme caution when traveling in those areas.
Students should visit state.gov to learn about specific safety concerns while traveling in Mexico.

Niger
The State Department advises that travelers stay out of Niger due to a heightened threat of kidnapping.
Niger law permits officials to hold individuals for questioning for more than the 48 hours that U.S. law enforcement is allowed. A State of Alert has been enacted for the Agadez region, including the cities of Iferouane, Arlit and Agadez.
Additionally, northern and western Niger have seen continued insecurity, which allows armed groups to “operate with relative impunity throughout these border regions,” according to the State Department. Northern Niger is covered in landmines.
U.S. government officials and official visitors do not have permission to travel outside of Niamey.

India
Authorities are still receiving information that terrorists could be planning an attack on India.
“Terrorists and their sympathizers have demonstrated their willingness and capability to attack targets where U.S. citizens or Westerners are known to congregate or visit,” according to the State Department.
Travelers are urged to keep a low profile, maintain awareness of their situations and practice good security. The State Department advises travelers to plan their movements with knowledge of the levels of security in various hotels, markets and public places.

Malaysia
The region of eastern Sabah has seen violence against foreigners.
The State Department indicates that intelligence shows that terrorist and criminals groups have plans to attack foreigners in this region.
Areas of concern include resorts in eastern Sabah and the islands of Sipadan and Mabul.
Travelers should avoid these areas or use extreme caution while traveling in them.

Philippines
Violence in southern islands of Mindanao and Sulu Archipelago have caused the State Department to issue a travel alert for the Philippines.
The provinces of Maguindanao and Sultan Kudarat, as well as the city of Cotabato, have seen continued instability since recent violent incidences. This has led to law and military checkpoints on roads and significant military presence. Additionally, the State Department urges travelers to “remain vigilant and avoid congregating in public areas.”