Don’t end the suffraging

We know it isn’t a word, but go out and vote

Texas wasn’t supposed to have this much impact on the presidential primaries. We usually leave that up to several other states participating in Super Tuesday. As it happens, our primary may well decide who the Democratic nominee will be.

Early voting officially began Tuesday and will end on Feb. 29. The official election will be held on March 4. For those of you who are registered to vote in Texas, Ed Board hopes that you will exercise this right in the primary election. The early voting polling place closest to campus is at Our Redeemer Lutheran Church at 7611 Park Lane, just north of NorthPark Center. Don’t be apathetic about the political process. We hope you will engage in this historical moment. You’re getting a chance to decide who the next presidential nominees will be!

For the Democratic candidates, Texas holds 139 delegates. Republicans will be battling for 140 delegates.

While the Republican race is almost nearly decided, a win for Sen. John McCain in the Lone Star State could help the party unify as one and convince Arkansas Gov. Mike Huckabee to quit the race.

Democrats are experiencing a much more exciting race. Illinois Sen. Barack Obama has the lead, but New York Sen. Hillary Clinton might be able stay in the race if she wins Texas and Ohio.

You don’t have to participate in door-to-door campaigning or spend hours calling people from all over the Dallas-Ft. Worth area. In any election, the most important thing you can do is vote.

Seriously though, why wouldn’t you want to vote? We’ve all got our opinions, and the democratic process is a great way to express those beliefs. After all, we got involved in a certain Revolutionary War because we couldn’t express ourselves.

If you aren’t registered to vote, have no fear. If you register by Oct. 6, you can still vote in the 2008 general election.

Voter registration applications can be obtained through your local voter registrar or can be requested online through the Texas Secretary of State at sos.state.tx.us/index.html.

To be able to vote in Texas, you must be a resident of at least 18 years on election day. You must also not be declared mentally incapacitated, and you cannot be a convicted felon currently serving your parole, probation or sentence.

Chances are if you’re reading this, you qualify for registration. Are you from another state? Google your state’s voter registration information or go to rockthevote.com. More voter information and race information can also be found at SMUDailyData.com.

Use your voice this election season because it’s too important to keep quiet!