Single and lonely, or together and still unhappy

Today has evolved into a day filled with candy hearts, naked flying babies with arrows, showering of gifts, but most importantly, frowns. Frowns from the ladies who are upset with their boyfriends for taking them to McDonalds, even though you said she could super-size, frowns from the guys who received their third pink teddy bear that speaks when you grab its hand and frowns from those who watch “Seinfeld” re-runs with their dates Ben and Jerry.

This raises the question: Who actually frowns more at the end of the day – couples or the single person?

After surfing the Web for the perfect Valentine’s Day gift, Jeff Brown, SMU sophomore, slams his Dell laptop shut. “Valentine’s day is supposed to be about showing respect and love for your companion. I didn’t think that would cost this much,” he complains.

Jennifer Lopez’s song “Love Don’t Cost a Thing” is the anthem for some women who claim being spoiled with fancy jewelry and dozens of roses doesn’t justify love. But when cupid shows his bare bottom, the need to be pampered skyrockets.

We all know that having a date doesn’t automatically result in a night ripped from a fairy tale. High expectations, money and lack of preparation can ruin any couple’s romantic night. Even though chocolates and flowers dominate a woman’s “perfect gift” list, getting either of those will reserve a boyfriend a spot in the infamous doghouse this year. Jewelry, iPods and perfume rank as the “musts” to please your special lady.

This is quite different for the ladies’ “musts” for their boyfriends, which include CDs that express your love for him, picture frames with the cutest picture of the two of you and my favorite response, a Build-a-Bear wearing his favorite NFL team’s logo – get ready to pretend you like these, guys. However, when you’re single there is no need to pretend or stress about the perfect gift. All you have to worry about is which TV marathon to watch and which bars to visit to help you boycott the night.

“Me and my girls are gonna have a girls’ night and have a good time,” sais first-year student Abbie James. Seriously, nobody really wants to spend Valentine’s Day alone, no matter what the drink specials are.

Regardless of the disappointments that coincide with Feb. 14, the day brings fun to both sides of the argument. Just don’t expect the world and realize that being single isn’t as bad as you think and today, Valentine’s Day, will provide positive memories.