Candidates ready for election

SMU’s elections for the Spring 2008 Student Senate opened Monday at midnight and are scheduled to continue through Thursday at 7 p.m. The election ballot can be found online at smu.edu/elections.

Current First-Year Senator Nick Errichetto is vying for a second term in the Dedman I category. Challengers for spots this year include freshmen Andrew Davis, Alexander Holland, Adam Rice, John Steitz, Matt Tullman and Ryan Villareal.

Current Student Concerns Chair Patrick Kobler and incumbent Ryan Pitts lead the sophomore Dedman II category. Others contending for spots include sophomores Rob Krupp, Allison Reyes, Jakin Vela and junior Derek Sangston.

Cox School of Business candidates include incumbent sophomore Marc Bullock, junior Andrew Robinson, sophomores Megan Altman, Alex Linn, Ryan Meyer and freshman Elizabeth Tsai.

Sophomore Brenda Gonzalez is the only challenger in the Meadows race against three incumbent senators. The current Meadows senators are juniors Jonathan Moon, Whitney Stenger and Taylor Thornley.

Current Education Senator Jeff Ordner, a junior, will fight to keep his spot against junior Brittney Titus.

Both the International and Hispanic-American senators have no returning incumbents vying for a second term. The international section has four candidates, sophomores Steven Aitkenhead, Matthew Alexander, Yousuf Alkhan and Janet Yang.

The Hispanic-American race is a two-way race between sophomore Sarah Acosta and freshman Laura Baez.

The engineering, African-American and Asian-American senators have no challengers, with current respective senators Barret Matthews, Jay Johnson and Shakeel Mehdi running for another term.

First-Year Senator Erika Briceno and sophomore Cox senator Marc Bullock are running for Secretary.

Second-year senator and the Student Concerns Chair of the Student Senate Patrick Kobler and second-year Dedman II senator Ryan Pitts are running for vice president.

Finally, Chief-of-Staff Rob Hayden, sophomore; Secretary Lamar Dowling, junior; and Meadows Senator Taylor Thornley, junior, are running for Student Body President.