Get active with SMU Outdoor Adventures

Courtesy of AP
The Louisville basketball team gathered around after witnessing Ware’s injury.

Spring Break 2010 backpacking trip in the Grand Canyon. (Photo courtsey of Outdoor Adventures )

Do you love the outdoors?

Want to hike? Go camping?

Hang out in nature?

Improve your leadership skills?

AND have fun?

SMU Outdoor Adventures [OA] may be right up your ally.
Not only will you get to engage in outdoor recreational activities, the program strongly encourages leadership utilizing the natural environment.

“We are one of the best leadership programs on campus that uses non-traditional classrooms to further leadership,” Albert Mitugo, senior coordinator of Outdoor Adventures, said. “Whether it is self-awareness, human skills, outdoor skills or leadership skills.”

SMU student Jeremy Rechtien said he got involved in outdoor adventures because, “I saw early on the benefits the experiences of the OA provides to students through the Hilltop Scholars Expedition. After that, I knew that I wanted to be a trip leader and be able to provide these experiences for the SMU community in return for what it gave me.”

Various trips are taken each year and cater to different interests, activity levels and the amount of time you are gone.

The workshops serve as shorter courses to help students build their outdoor skills.

SMU student Matthew Deaver is the SMU climbing wall manager and enjoys challenging himself with outdoor adventures.

“Working with SMU Outdoor Adventures gives me the opportunity to fully experience the great outdoors,” he said.

Located on the north end of the bottom floor in the Dedman Recreational Center, you can find out all you want to know about various trips and activity workshops that are offered.

“Spring break trips have been popular with the program,” Mitugo said.

“Tandem Sky Diving is quite popular and so are other trips like zip lining, overnight backpacking, rock climbing as well as kayaking or canoeing.”

“Our trips are discounted because SMU wants the SMU community to take advantage of these trips and experiences that will be hard to come by after graduation,” Rechtien said.

According to Mitugo, the program serves about 4000 students at the climbing wall and approximately 250 in trips and workshops per year. “We also serve a sizeable group of students, alumni, staff and faculty through camping gear rental,” he said.

Why do Rechtien and Deaver think students should get involved?

“We are like nothing else on campus,” Rechtien said. “There is nowhere else that supplies these types of experiences for the SMU community the way we do.”

“SMU Outdoor Adventures offers something for everyone,” Deaver said.

“Whether you are experiencing backpacking for the first time, challenging yourself with a rock climbing trip or becoming an outdoor leader, you are bound to have a unique adventure that you will never forget!”