Hilltop Glossy photo blog embraces SMU fashion pulse

Photo courtesy of smuglossy.com
Photo courtesy of smuglossy.com

Photo courtesy of smuglossy.com

Fashion photographers all over the world capture individual’s outfits every day. They are fascinated with street style, personal taste and making something extraordinary out of the ordinary. Now, with today’s technology, hundreds of these photographers are uploading their work onto blogs for their reader’s inspiration.

Shutterbugs are common in Paris, Milan, New York and Los Angeles, but they have yet to tap into Dallas’ growing fashion voice … until now.

Scott and Kristi Redman decided to take matters into their own hands and provide an outlet for all things vogue with Hilltop Glossy. The two SMU film and photography graduates launched the fashion-photo blog six months ago.

“We have always had a deep love for fashion and observing life, and many times thought that someone should be capturing what was happening at SMU,” Kristi said. “We knew that SMU was an untapped resource of great fashion, and we wanted to share that story with the fashion world, and  so Hilltop Glossy was founded.”

The couple takes photographs daily of random people spotted on or around campus. After sifting through hundreds of vibrant and artsy shots, they post their favorites onto the blog for their readers.

The Redmans follow no certain system or guidelines when choosing which photos to publish.

“We love to choose photographs that tell a story. We look at the person first and then the clothes,” Kristi said. “When fashion works, it’s difficult to define what someone is wearing. It’s not just what label you put on, it’s how you mix it up, how you move, how you carry your bag … and SMU girls get that. We look for inspiration that will be relevant to others.”

To truly embrace the pulse of SMU fashion, the Redmans rarely go without their cameras.

“We shoot daily and at different times of the day because style changes from 8 a.m. to 11 p.m. And we have a real ability to be at the right place at the right time,” Kristi said.

Hilltop Glossy is not the Redmans’ first venture in either fashion or photography. After graduating from SMU, they began a vintage clothing business on the Web where they obtained six years of experience shooting clothing.

“In the last year, we have left vintage clothing to solely focus on Hilltop Glossy and our photography,” Kristi said.

Before Hilltop Glossy, the couple practiced as photojournalists. They have traveled to Chicago, Los Angeles, Mexico, New York, New Orleans and the U.S. Virgin Islands.

Concerning the future of Hilltop Glossy, Kristi is adamant about expanding the Web site and its audience.

“We want people in New York, Paris and Milan to see what people are wearing at SMU and that there is a culture of clothes and not just   expensive labels,” she said. “We have had a wonderful response and we are booking openings and different fashion events, but ultimately we want to shoot at SMU and have the fashion world look to SMU as one of the top trendsetters.”

Photo courtesy of smuglossy.com

Photo courtesy of smuglossy.com

Photo courtesy of smuglossy.com

Photo courtesy of smuglossy.com

Photo courtesy of smuglossy.com

Photo courtesy of smuglossy.com