Leap through lunch: Brown Bag returns next week in full force

Sophomore Kathryn Schaible performs during the Brown Bag Dance Series in the Bob Hope Theatre Lobby at the  Owen Fine Arts Center
Spencer J Eggers/The Daily Campus
Sophomore Kathryn Schaible performs during the Brown Bag Dance Series in the Bob Hope Theatre Lobby at the Owen Fine Arts Center

Sophomore Kathryn Schaible performs during the Brown Bag Dance Series in the Bob Hope Theatre Lobby at the Owen Fine Arts Center (Spencer J Eggers/The Daily Campus)

The Meadows dancers are known for putting in long rehearsal hours and having strict schedules. Now it’s time for round one of this year’s Meadows Brown Bag Dance Series showcasing the talent of student dancers at the Bob Hope Theatre Lobby in the Owen Fine Arts Center.

“A lot of dance majors are double majors in other disciplines actually. Rehearsals are like the homework of the dance department, only with very physical and emotional assignments. Dancers eventually learn how to manage time very wisely – we have to,” sophomore dance major, Alexandra Nowlin, said.

The Brown Bag dance series has been a part of SMU since 1983. The dance series parades student choreographed dance pieces. The student choreographers decide everything from the music to the dancers to the costuming.

“Some people choose a song that they love and fit everything around it, some choose a story or theme they wish to convey and find just the right music, look and dancers and some choreograph a phrase that they feel ownership over and build from there,” Nowlin said. “It’s amazing to observe everyone’s creative process. The way people teach their dancers and conduct their rehearsals will also reflect their personality.”

Brown Bag is not just for upperclassman dancers. First-year dance majors also take center stage with choreography designed just for them.

Students will see a flurry of intricate dance moves, facial expressions and emotions that highlight the success of Meadows Division of Dance. Tenley Dorrill’s choreography will be featured again along with new choreographers.

“Dance is not only a visual experience, but a very active performance that can inspire your spirit.  Choreography is both intelligent and simple because it’s open to interpretation, but there is almost always a deeper intention. Art enriches the soul because it puts the beautiful and tragic parts of life in a frame,” Nowlin said.

The series will take place during lunchtime, at noon, next Oct. 1 to Oct. 5 (Monday to Friday). The dance routines will accommodate for all types of genres. There will be between 10-15 performances which include dance styles of ballet, modern, and jazz.

“The choreography is increasingly more idiosyncratic than the season before. The emotions evoked will be a wide range and the music equally as eclectic,” Nowlin said. “This series offers works set to dub step, classical, R&B, soft rock and pop music – something for everybody’s taste. That said, you’ll get a balanced lunchtime smorgasbord of dance.”