‘In the Heights’ brings fun, Latin flavor to Winspear

Christina+Aranda+and+Perry+Young+as+Abuela+Claudia+and+Usnavi.+
Photo Courtesy of the AT&T Performing Arts Center
Christina Aranda and Perry Young as Abuela Claudia and Usnavi.

Christina Aranda and Perry Young as Abuela Claudia and Usnavi. (Photo Courtesy of the AT&T Performing Arts Center)

Set in New York City’s racious neighborhood of Washington Heights, “In the Heights” is a fast-faced modern musical that touches on subjects both serious and comedic.

Currently playing at the Winspear Opera House, “In the Heights” combines a solid foundation of supporting cast with stellar leads to produce an entertaining show from start to finish.

Perhaps the most prevalent theme throughout “In the Heights” is the characters yearn to leave their neighborhood.

Starting with the show’s most relatable character, Nina. Played by Virginia Cavaliere, Nina is a struggling Stanford dropout who can’t bare to tell her supportive parents that she couldn’t finish college. The show’s second song (and best) “Breathe,” tells Nina’s story and gives Cavaliere her moment to steal the show.

“In the Heights” main character is Usnavi, a Washington Heights bodega owner who is yearning to return home to Puerto Rico. Perry Young plays Usnavi.

While Young may not have been as good of a vocalist as Cavaliere, the singer has his moments rapping in songs like “96,000.”

As a whole, “In the Heights” is an impressive musical that breaks the mold of traditional jazz hands and standards.

With an upbeat tempo and beautiful set work, “In the Heights” is a well-rounded musical that delivers Latin flair on every note.