Tennis player arrested in Binkley assault

Student charged with child indecency

SMU police arrested a student at his 2949 Binkley Ave. apartment for one count of “indecency with a child,” a second-degree felony.

The Dallas Morning News reported that the student is sophomore tennis player Adolfo Solares, and that he was being held Thursday at the Lew Sterrett Justice Center.

SMU Police originally initiated an investigation on Feb. 20 after the father of a 16-year-old girl filed a criminal complaint against Solares.

According to the SMU police log, the father reported his daughter was dropped off by her friends at the SMU apartment Sunday night, and she spent the night with him without her parents’ knowledge.

The log also said the investigation into the case is pending the findings of the examination of forensic evidence.

The DMN reported that Solares is in the country legally on a student visa, but because he is being accused of a crime, he is also under an immigration hold.

Bail for the indecency charge has been set at $10,000, the DMN said.

Carl Rusnok, regional communications director for the U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement, told the DMN, “A student [visa] is a nonimmigrant visa and is used to go to school and go back.”

“They’re welcome to apply for citizenship, but if someone has been charged with indecency with a child, that may affect immigration status,” he said.

He added Solares could be deported if convicted.

Solares’ attorney, Hank Judin, told the DMN he hopes immigration officials will release his client when bail is posted.

A statement from SMU confirms the police report and said, “The matter will also be adjudicated on campus through the University’s Student Judiciary System.”

“The student has been suspended as a member of the SMU tennis team,” the statement added.

According to smumustangs.com, Solares’ hometown is Mexico City, Mexico, and he is a graduate of Richardson High School. Solares is a finance major and has been on the tennis team since 2003.