Performance artist Dave McKenzie to speak at SMU

Whenever youre ready, Apocalypse
Whenever you’re ready, Apocalypse

SMU will host guest speaker and visiting artist Dave McKenzie Monday night in Umphrey Lee 241. (Courtesy of AP)

Meadows will feature Dave McKenzie in the visiting artist lecture series on Monday, Feb. 18 from 6:30 p.m. to 8:30 p.m.

The lecture will be held in Umphrey Lee 241.

McKenzie’s works, often manifested in video or performance, explore identity, race, and public representation of self.

A major theme in his work is related to vantage points of public representation and the way these positions are open and available to different forms of interpretation.

His work often shows a sense of understanding of the inherent problems encountered in the communication between artist and viewer, and as an artist, McKenzie attempts to bridge that gap through the use of objects, actions, and a sense of humor.

McKenzie has often made use of his own likeness in his work, which often combines both humor as well as more serious issues.

In his 2012 video, “Wilfred and Me,” McKenzie repeats the phrase “Magic Johnson has AIDS,” and the phrase’s true meanings are revealed over time.

Like this video, his work often seems minimalist at first and eventually develops into a deeper meaning.

In the case of the video about AIDS, his video reached deeper meaning into the AIDS crisis, especially how it is manifested in the black community, and ultimately personal truth.

The New York based artist is also known for his performances and installations that exploit symbols of pop culture, such as a Bill Clinton mask, in order to display the ideological machine of identity.

His work places special attention on social conventions and obligations and shows McKenzie’s new role as an artist.

In a statement from the Meadows School of the Arts, McKenzie’s work is described in the following manner: “What initially seems like a performance of a minimalist mantra, over time develops layers of meaning: poignant, exhausting, at times literally gut-wrenching, dealing with issues of hero worship, representations of masculinity, mortality, the AIDS crisis (especially as manifested in the black community) and ultimately personal truth.

Dave McKenzie’s public performances tend to go beyond traditional performance.

Don’t miss out the special opportunity to hear McKenzie tonight because it is an exciting event for the SMU community.

Tickets are free for all students.