SMU plays host to first women’s basketball tournament since 1996

SMU plays host to first womens basketball tournament since 1996
Photo by John Schreiber, The Daily Campus

SMU plays host to first women’s basketball tournament since 1996 (Photo by John Schreiber, The Daily Campus)

When the ball tips off today in the Conference USA Women’s Basketball Tournament, it will be the first time SMU has hosted such an event since the end of the Southwest Conference in 1996.

Normally, conference basketball tournaments have the men’s and women’s teams in the same city, but this year Conference USA split the two. The men’s tournament begins next Wednesday in Memphis.

SMU Athletics began promoting the tournament at the start of basketball season but has spent the past few weeks increasing awareness of the games. Posters with information have been spread over campus featuring brackets and game times.

Associate Marketing Director Cherri Shaw said there has been a good response from the community about the tournament. She said area TV stations have already visited Moody Coliseum to tape stories for their newscasts.

Shaw also believes that after a season, fans are more familiar with the teams and are excited about how SMU can perform in the tournament.

SMU will play Friday at 8:30 p.m. against the winner of the University of Central Florida and Tulane game. The first 150 students to arrive at the game will receive a coupon for a free hot dog, popcorn and soda.

Like all university athletic events, tickets are free to students, faculty and staff with an SMU ID throughout the entire tournament.

“There’s really no reason not to come,” Shaw said.

According to Shaw, multiple community groups will be attending games throughout the tournament.

“Lots of schools are using this as a field trip and coming to Thursday’s or Friday’s games,” Shaw said. She also mentioned that Saturday is Dallas ISD day.

Before the championship game on Sunday, the C-USA Fun Zone will include inflatables, arts and crafts, and sports games. Radio Disney will also broadcast live from the Fun Zone, which runs from 12:30 p.m. to 2:30 p.m. The championship game tips off at 3 p.m.

“We’re praying for really good weather on Sunday,” Shaw said.