Lacrosse stomps Cowboys

The SMU lacrosse club trampled Okalahoma State Cowboys with a 14 – 2 win early Sunday afternoon on the intramural fields. Thirty fans turned out to cheer the mustangs to victory, bringing SMU’s overall record to 2 and 5.

Junior attack Chris Best led all scorers with four points.

“I think we played pretty well, Best said

Best explained that while SMU’s record may be poor, they are playing some of the best competition they have ever faced.

By halftime the score was 8 — 1, and Coach Sandy Boyce gave his starting players a breather.

“A lot of the younger guys really stepped it up,” said senior defenseman Chip Hiemenz. “They’ve been working hard in practice and it really carried over into the game.”

In the third quarter, the entire second string had come off the bench to relieve the starters. Freshman midfielder Andrew Monaco shined through in the last half, keeping the Cowboys on their heels as he fought to keep the ball in the offensive sticks of his teammates. Midfielder Ross Martin bounced one in with assistance from attack Tom Greene, bringing the score to 10 — 1. Less than a minute later, midfielder Henry Wyche slung another into the Cowboy’s net. Best closed out the third quarter with his final goal of the game, bringing the Mustang to 12.

In the fourth quarter, Greene assisted Martin from behind the net in a textbook-scoring play, earning the Mustangs their 13th point. Midfielder Alex Triplett put in the final point for SMU.

Best said that while many of OSU’s players returned from last year, they’re still a young team.

The Mustangs will play Kansas State on Friday and Nebraska on Saturday in Plano part of the Big XII tournament.