Conference aims to educate women about gridiron game

The Coaches wives were questioned last night at the Womens Football Clinic.
Brennen Cage
The Coaches’ wives were questioned last night at the Women’s Football Clinic.

The Coaches’ wives were questioned last night at the Women’s Football Clinic. (Brennen Cage)

The Mustang football squad hosted the annual Phil Bennett Women’s Football Clinic last night. Players’ mothers, coaches’ wives and other fans of the SMU program joined the head coach for dinner, a silent auction and a few lessons about the game at the Hall of Champions in the Loyd All-Sports Center.

After dinner, SMU players, including kicker Thomas Morstead, running back Cedrick Dorsey and wide receiver Zack Sledge, modeled the Mustangs’ new 2007 uniforms and workout gear for the enthusiastic audience. Prizes from the silent auction included a football signed by the team and travel for two to an away game with the team.

The event then moved into the End-Zone Club for a lecture on the Mustang program and the game of football in general from head coach Phil Bennett and his assistant coaches, including Rusty Burns.

Directing his opening statements to the wives of coaches, Bennett said, “There is nothing harder in this world than being a high school or a college football coach’s wife. You are humbled by somebody every Friday, Saturday or Sunday.”

He continued with an explanation of the SMU program saying, “it takes a lot of people to run a program,” and reiterated the importance of each person’s job. Bennett also talked about the players and the strong work ethic of the Mustang squad, praising the returning players and speaking highly of the new additions.

The head coach did, however, quote the legendary Tom Landry when discussing the difficulties he faces as a coach:

“The players will never, ever want it as bad as the coaches,” he said.

The Mustangs end spring practice with the Red and Blue scrimmage on Saturday at 2 p.m. in Ford Stadium.

Phil Bennett speaks at the Women’s Football Clinic. (Brennen Cage)