Meadows Dance Ensemble presents Spring Dance Concert

Like Brown Bag, pictured above, the Spring Dance Concert is another highlight in the 2007 Meadows Season.
Christina Parrish

Like Brown Bag, pictured above, the Spring Dance Concert is another highlight in the 2007 Meadows Season. (Christina Parrish)

Contemporary and jazz dance with an international twist are featured in the Spring Dance Concert presented by the Meadows Dance Ensemble, which started Wednesday and runs through Sunday, April 1. Performance times are 8 p.m. through Saturday and 2 p.m. Sunday in the Bob Hope Theatre of the Owen Fine Arts Center.

The concert features the world premiere of Sogni e Bisogni (“Dreams and Needs”), the American choreographic debut of prize-winning Dutch choreographer Joost Antoine Vrouenraets. Set to the music of Beethoven, this work for five couples was created especially for the Meadows Division of Dance.

Also performed is choreographer William Forsythe’s Four Variations on “The Vile Parody of Address,” restaged by Douglas Becker, a founding member and principal dancer of the Frankfurt Ballet. Solos from “The Vile Parody of Address,” originally created in 1988 by Forsythe for the Frankfurt Ballet, have been transposed and transformed into interpretations for multiple dancers.

The spring concert concludes with faculty member Danny Buraczeski’s Ezekiel’s Wheel, an emotional piece for eight dancers that was inspired by the life and work of author and Civil Rights activist James Baldwin and explores the themes of recognition, responsibility and redemption.

Tickets are $12 for adults, $9 for seniors and $6 for SMU students, faculty and staff. To purchase tickets in advance, call (214) 768-2787.