Sangria dishes out tasty tapas

At first glance, Sangria Tapas y Bar’s white-washed exterior and elaborate outdoor patio show good curb appeal and easily attract those traveling on Cole Avenue in the Knox-Henderson area.

Although this trendy area boasts many interesting dining choices, Sangria manages to stand out among the rest.

The restaurant’s authentic Spanish style fits with its traditional Spanish cuisine, which includes tapas and paella.

Valet parking is available directly in front of the restaurant and is a necessity if you value convenience.

Genuine tile accents and iron light fixtures accent Sangria, while barrel tables and certain architectural elements reinstate the restaurant’s European aspirations. Good lighting and fitting music only add to Sangria’s lively and fun atmosphere.

The over 2,000 square foot dining area seats up to 50 inside while the patio holds up to 30. The quaint space is unmistakably similar to European restaurants. Small groups and couples are easily accommodated while bigger groups should make a reservation. This setup allows guests to escape the commonalities of America, transporting them directly into Spain.

Although the restaurant’s theme is distinctly Spanish, its approach to dining is purely unique to Dallas. Sangria’s waiting staff and managers focus on the dining experience, enabling their customers to enjoy a stress-free meal. Instead of focusing on the meal itself, the food is served to accentuate the interaction between friends and family. With a full understanding of Spanish cuisine, restaurant employees are able to make suggestions that are accommodating to personal tastes.

Also, tapas are designed to be enjoyed over a long period of time, because of their appetizer-like servings. This provides a relaxing and laid-back dining experience that is uncommon for most eateries.

Celebrating its one-year anniversary this month, Sangria is already at the top of many lists. Owner Alberto Lombardi, responsible for a few other restaurants in the Knox-Henderson area, keeps the business family operated. This approach to business offers originality and warmth not found in chain restaurants.

As a result of its success, Sangria is able to offer daily specials, a fluid menu and special deals outside of happy hour. Fresh seafood and tender meats are to be expected, while the produce is always crisp and clean. Imported cheeses and olives ensure authentic flavoring. The Lombardi family clearly refuses to cut corners, enabling Sangria to reach its full potential.

The menu consists of a variety of unique tapas and traditional Spanish dishes at an affordable cost. To start, Datiles con Cabrales y Bacon and Pimientos del Padron entice the taste buds, giving the meal’s first glimpse of Spanish flavor.

The authentically seasoned almonds, called Almendras Marcona fritas, serve as a good palate cleanser.

The gazpacho soup is unlike most soups because it is served cold. The creamy consistency and unique taste make this soup a must when dining at Sangria.

For the main meal, many distinct tapas are available that would satisfy any customer. The Kobe beef or the Buey a la Parilla are rich and original, both accentuated by aged cheese and a red wine sauce. Other tasty tapas include the lamp chops, scallops and asparagus with mushrooms. For dessert, the churros and the Crema Catalana are a perfect end to a fulfilling and amazing meal.

After the meal, I was both satisfied and happy. My only regret was having to depart from the truly authentic European experience. Not only is Sangria a fine restaurant, it is an escape from the ordinary and common. I strongly recommend Sangria Tapas y Bar to every SMU student looking for the extraordinary.