Website makes shopping for craft art just one click away

Across the country, buying hand-made goods has become increasingly popular, thanks to sources such as Etsy, a website for artists to sell their handmade creations.  

In Dallas, the craft-collective Etsy Dallas is providing opportunities for local artists to promote their goods and to spread the word on this modern, hand-made movement. 

“What we do is hardly old-fashioned,” said Stephanie Hindall, co-president and founder of Etsy Dallas. “I would love for the hand-made movement to sweep across the SMU campus and reach a hip, young demographic in Dallas.” 

Etsy Dallas was founded in September 2007 at a time when a local, cohesive collective of artists in the area did not exist. 

“We were all sort of spread out doing our own thing,” Hindall said. “I saw the need for leadership and put out a call for people to join me.” 

Three years later, Etsy Dallas is the leader of the hand-made movement for the Dallas-Fort Worth metroplex and has inspired the creation of groups like Etsy Austin and Artisans of Houston.

One of Etsy Dallas’ team members, Dylan Dowdy of Dowdy Studio, creates hand-printed, silk-screened T-shirts in his studio in Richardson. He joined Etsy Dallas to promote his shop and connect with other artists in the area.

“When I started designing and making my own tees, I thought it was pretty important to make some connections locally and meet some like-minded individuals that could spark a lot of creativity and make something pretty cool happen in Dallas,” Dowdy said. 

In addition, Dowdy discovered that the Etsy Dallas community also serves as a support system for its members.

“We all support each other with our crazy dreams and adventures,” Dowdy said. “Having that strength has helped myself stay strong as a struggling, small-time artist.”

This strong collection of artists has much to offer SMU students who want to buy local, hand-made goods. 

“What’s so special about…cheap ‘Made in China’ piece of junk jewelry from a mass-producing commercial outlet who employs poor labor oversees?” Hindall said. “In my opinion, nothing.” 

“Buying hand-made [jewelry], especially locally, directly affects the local economy,” Dowdy said. 

“Each purchase is putting dollars right back into the community’s hands, which in turn, keeps the community strong,” Dowdy said.  

According to Hindall, style is not sacrificed when buying hand-made goods. 

“For SMU students in particular, there are many trendy, modern and fashion-forward crafters in Dallas,” Hindall said. “What better way to move with the times than buying something trendy and hand-made from a fellow neighbor?”

Along with selling their products on the Etsy website, SMU students can shop and discover local talent at Etsy Dallas’ two craft fairs. 

The Jingle Bash will be held on Nov. 20, and the Spring Bash will be held on April 30 next year. Both shows are free to attend. 

“The Bash events showcase an incredible collection of top-notch, hand-picked, hand-made goods from all around Dallas and beyond,” Hindall said. 

These craft fairs feature hand-made apparel, jewelry, accessories, bags, art and more. 

Shoppers can also enjoy live DJ music, goody bags and free, do-it-yourself crafts.

“It’s more like a party than a craft show,” Hindall said.