Go South by Southwest this spring break

Cabo San Lucas, Puerto Vallarta, Cancun, Cozumel and every other south of the border spring break destination ensure two important things: inconsumable water and a drunken good time. However, for those of you who aren’t packing your bags for an all-inclusive booze-fest at a beach-front mega-resort, I would like to present to you a Texas alternative — and it’s not South Padre Island.

The destination that I speak of has been described by Lesley Douglas of BBC as being “one of the most influential music events in the world [that] champions new talent together with fresh material from established artists, all of which will ultimately affect what our listeners will hear on air and buy in the shops.”

This spring break, the 20th Annual South by Southwest Festivals and Conferences will commence in Austin. South by Southwest is a comprehensive salute to independent culture that features around 1,300 musical acts and over 200 films. The film festival will run from March 10-18, and costs around $225 for an all-access student badge that entitles you to a bag of soundtracks and other movie paraphernalia, as well as access to the movie screenings of your choice. And, if you are so fortunate, you may sit next to the next Steven Spielberg or Martin Scorsese at the premier films such as “The Last Western” or “Champions.”

Unfortunately, to attend the music festival, which begins on the 15th, you also have to purchase a music pass. The official music badge costs a hefty $575, but an alternative does exist. Feb. 24, Waterloo Records in Austin released a limited number of wristbands that cost $130. The wristbands sold out in a matter of hours and can now be found on eBay for around $275. Although the markup is around 100 percent, I simply could not deny myself this great opportunity and purchased one of the over-priced bands.

The process then goes as follows: Those with badges are given first preference, and those with wristbands are allowed in if capacity has not been reached. Last week, I spoke with a South by Southwest representative who informed me that wristbands are almost always allowed into the concerts. With that said, I would suggest forgoing the several perks that come along with the steep $575 all-access fee, and purchase the less-expensive wristband.

While many of the indie films featured may be lesser known to a majority of you, some of the music acts are a bit more recognizable, though not mainstream. Some of the shows I plan to see include performances by artists such as Amos Lee, The Go! Team, Talib Kweli, Secret Machines, Immortal Technique, Spoon, Blackalicious, Atmosphere, Brother Ali and Aberfeldy. For those who are familiar with these music talents, you know how diverse the music selection will be at this year’s festival. You can see anything from classic folk to Houston’s own Chamillionaire.

Although some of the shows are held at 21 and up venues, many of them are either all ages or 18 and over. So, regardless of your age, you will always be able to catch a show at one of 50 great venues such as Emo’s or Stubb’s BBQ. And, as the University of Texas shares our same spring break, plenty of students will be hanging around the UT campus looking to do exactly what those of you chasing tequila shots with Corona are so eager to do — party. I booked a hotel room close to campus for a very reasonable price and hope to experience a bit of what Austin has to offer as a spring break destination.

Although I can’t say that I wouldn’t enjoy being the all-star of the Cabo Drinking Team, sipping Patron on a sandy playa, I can say that I am very pleased with my spring break plans. To me, there is simply not much better than seeing my favorite music, with good friends, in one location, for four straight days. For those of you who can’t handle the “all-natural” hippie-fests such as Bonnaroo and Waukaroosa, then I highly suggest that you check out the more tame and domestic South by Southwest. It is an unusual alternative to an otherwise monotonous spring break.