Agree to disagree about sports

In an effort to assure Paul Vattakavanich that his article did not go unnoticed, I have decided to respond to his plea that SMU fans should stay united for all sports, and will even do him the honor of structuring my rebuttal in a manner similar to his.

First let me say that I agree with Paul V on all the things he said I got right in my first article, because I was indeed right. That being said, I am a big fan of him and his antics at SMU games, and have a lot of respect for the Mustang Band and the spirit they display (although their song selection is, at times, questionable). I also agree with him on the fact that many low-profile SMU sports continue to remain low profile because of dismal student attendance.

That brings me to the main point of this article: the things I disagree with. First, how can one not agree that “the student section has been bashed this year” when one acknowledges that “we have a low student turnout most of the time” and believes that “people will always bash our … fans until they unite” (contradictory quotes courtesy of Paul Vattakavanich).

Let me elaborate on what I meant by my use of “bash” in my first article. The dictionary defines it quite simply as “engaging in accusatory criticism.” With that definition, one might deduce that bash and criticize are closely related words, perhaps even synonyms. Put it all together, and the student section has been criticized all year for not showing up to support their team. Does that clear up any disagreement?

Secondly, perhaps I was a little too harsh on the SMU Police Department in my first article. I’ll admit that since it was published I have been hesitant to drive my car without a seatbelt or cross the street outside of designated pedestrian lanes, because I have no doubt they are gunning for me, probably looking to lock me up. SMUPD does a good job rounding out the Fantastic Four (UP, HP, City of Dallas) Police Departments that patrol SMU and the surrounding areas, and we are all safer because of it. I understand that they have “the responsibility to protect and serve everyone, not just SMU students,” but I find that to be a moot point in this argument. Who exactly were they protecting and serving that night? John Calipari? The Memphis Tigers? I assure you that although the atmosphere in Moody was intense, no threats of physical harm were made to any opposing players. No one was in need of any protection or service, except for maybe the SMU Mustang basketball team. We were trying to protect their lead and doing them a service by keeping Memphis rattled, but our ability to do so was hindered.

As for the 20 students who were ejected, I understand that in Vattakavanich’s long and illustrious SMU career he has no doubt seen many drunks thrown out of various sporting events. However, I know for a fact that at least two students were taken from the student section and sobriety-tested that night. Even upon passing the test, they were not allowed to return to their seats. So that can’t be the reason either. I am not going to bicker over each and every ejection that occurred that night (I can, but I won’t) because that’s really not the point. The point is that they were kicked out and largely given no reason as to why. Trust me, I was there. Vattakavanich probably just couldn’t see it from the band.

To get to the main point of this article (and address the main point of the one I am responding to) I have decided to adopt and answer Vattakavanich’s question, “How often does the student body support SMU athletics?” The simple answer to that is not very often. And although I would love to sit here all day and objectify our female athletes with phrases such as “women in tight shorts,” forgive me if I choose to take another route (sorry guys, you’re welcome ladies). I have indeed seen those scantily clad girls punish a little round ball, as sure as I saw the triple-OT thriller SMU women’s basketball played last year against Tulane, and the first-round NCAA Tournament game that men’s soccer played against UCSB, all of which are indeed noteworthy. All of the Mustangs’ sports teams deserve the kind of crowd that came out to see SMU vs. Memphis. And all the students who come out in support deserve the right to stay in the stands.

SMU fans should indeed “stay united for all sports,” but if we can’t unite against No. 6 Memphis (who by the way finished conference play undefeated and are on their way to a little thing called the Sweet 16) how can we unite in support of SMU club cricket on Saturday mornings? I agree with you Paul Vattakavanich, but we need to crawl before we run a marathon.

About the writer:

Zachary Upcheshaw is a sophomore finance and economics major. He can be reached at [email protected].