2006 Academy Awards runs the fashion gamut

Let’s face it – the Oscars are kind of boring. You can find out all you need to know in a one minute blurb on the evening news. It’s all about the fashion! Which stars were wearing which designers and what trends are on the fashion forefront are what we really care about.

An odd trend this season were dresses with pockets. Formal dresses with pockets. It may sound odd, but celebs like Sandra Bullock in a navy Angel Sanchez gown rocked this untraditional trend and looked fabulous.

Starting with the ladies, my pick for best dressed is Jessica Alba, donning a gold, floor-length Versace sparkler! She looked absolutely amazing. Her chocolate brown hair with blonde highlights was styled in a contemporary yet still fun up-do. She was rocking assorted yellow diamonds by H. Stern and beautiful gold drop shaped earrings by Erica Courtney.

Lady number two on the best-dressed list is Keira Knightly. She looked simply fabulous in aubergine fishtail Vera Wang gown, perfectly complemented by a 1960s Bulgari necklace. Now, I have to admit when I first saw her look I was a little skeptical, but with a few more glances it grew on me. I thought her simple hair and makeup went seamlessly with her flawless look.

Another top pick of mine is Jennifer Lopez. There was disagreement among fashion critics concerning J-Lo’s look for the evening, but I think she looked gorgeous in the form fitting (and what a form to fit!) moss green Jean Desses gown. Lopez’s tightly pulled back hair-do was classic, and her sun kissed make-up really kicked her look up a notch.

As we can’t all look flawless and fabulous, my first pick for the worst dressed women of the night is Reese Witherspoon. She wore a reportedly one-of-a-kind champagne colored “vintage” gown by Christian Dior, worn by Kirsten Dunst only three years earlier. This was an almost, but not quite, look. The heavily beaded gown overpowered Witherspoon’s petite frame. This was a huge disappointment from the usually chic starlet.

Another disappointment was Michelle Williams. There is a lot of controversy over her look – some fashion critics praised her for her bold choice, while others hated every bit of it. Personally, I was not a fan. She sported a burnt orange-condiment colored gown by Vera Wang. It was a total disaster: the neckline was a low cut triangle shaped mess! Her low swept-back hair and demure make-up, set off by bright red lipstick, didn’t help at all! It hurts me so much to say bad things about Vera Wang’s gown, because I am a huge fan, but this was a complete miss by the designer, the actress and her stylist.

Yet another one of my favorite actresses on my worst dressed list was Charlize Theron. All I have to say is that she looked like a giant Christmas present in her frumpy forest green Dior gown. She had a giant bow perched on her shoulder, for goodness sake! Some looks just don’t translate from the runway to the red carpet, but she does get some points for flawless make-up and a very classy up-do.

And for the Oscar gentlemen, the best-dressed man of the night was the oh-so-classic George Clooney. He looked simply chic in a traditional tux with satin edge detail on the lapels, a classy touch. I love that he wore a bow tie. Some guys shy away from the bow tie because it seems too old fashioned, but I thought it really set his look off.

My pick for worst-dressed male will have to go to Jamie Foxx. This saddens me, because I am a huge fan! He is normally so handsome and put together, but this look was a total miss. He looked like an extra from “Hustle and Flow” in a black suit, with a shiny turquoise shirt and black tie. Maybe next year, Jamie.

Whitney Patterson is a sophomore CCPA major and can be reached at [email protected].