ReddZone: B-Hop still SMU’s best

ReddZone
ReddZone

ReddZone

People always ask me who the best player I have ever played against is, and the answer is never easy. Usually, I answer Andre Miller or Tony Delk, because people recognize these NBA players. Sometimes, for people who really know basketball, I mention Kirk Snyder, and lately with his performance with the Hornets more people know the former Nevada standout. Sometimes I playfully mention Marcus West for those few that saw him make nine threes for Fresno in Moody one night. Eventually the answer will be Chris Bosh with his recent All-Star appearance and probable future domination of the NBA.

People also ask who the best player I have played with is, and that answer is simple:

BRYAN HOPKINS.

This is the without a doubt, hands down, stone-cold lock answer, and I have played with over 30 players through AAU, high school and college who have played college basketball. I was not lucky enough to play on the same team with the hardest worker I have ever been around, Quinton Ross, so he is out this conversation, but the talented Hopkins doesn’t even have competition.

The reason I mention this is because I have been reading on PonyFans.com and listening to the few people who attend SMU basketball games who constantly criticize Hopkins for being selfish, overrated and an out-and-out disappointment. Not only does this show a complete lack of understanding about basketball, it also shows the outsized expectations that accompanied Hopkins to SMU. He was the highest profile recruit SMU ever had and came into his opening season with guns blazing, receiving WAC Freshman of the Year honors after hitting for 13.1 points and 3.2 assists a game that season.

During his sophomore year he started an unprecedented three consecutive years of leading the team in scoring and assists. I remember a performance against Tulsa in the WAC tournament where he shot 10-13 for 30 points with a hand in his face on every shot. He had the ability to make even the best players look foolish, putting an inside-out move on UTEP’s Filiberto Rivera, the reigning WAC Defensive Player of the Year, that would have made the AND1 tour proud.

In his junior year, Hopkins came back stronger, making All-WAC second team as he put up 18 points, four rebounds and four assists a game. There were nights when he flat-out couldn’t miss, with a 30-footer against Hawaii standing out vividly in my mind as one of those times.

His senior year was marred by his first semester suspension for academics, but despite the fact he missed eight games, Hopkins was named to the C-USA third team by the league’s coaches.

That always seemed to be the problem with Hopkins. The opposing coaches seemed to always respect him a whole lot more then his own fans. While supposed Mustang supporters chose to focus on his career 41 percent shooting percentage and his failure to take the Ponies to the tournament, opposing coaches focused on his ability to change the game with his outstanding penetration ability, solid three point shot and spectacular anticipation skills that allowed him to be the SMU career leader in steals and steals per game. Coaches paid him the ultimate complement by focusing their defense around Hop, putting box and one’s, match-up zones and their best perimeter defender on him at all times.

The knock on Hopkins seemed to be that he failed to deliver as advertised. As a high school All-American, some were certain he would take SMU to the next level. In his time at SMU, Hopkins became the 14th player in NCAA history, and first at SMU: to score 1500 points, 350 rebounds, 350 assists and 200 steals in his career. By those criteria, I guess there are a lot of guys in the NBA who were disappointing. As far as Hopkins not taking the Mustangs to the tourney – He did fail, no doubt, but putting the blame on him shows a short-sighted quick trigger to take down the best player. Was it Hopkins’ fault that the system that Coach Tubbs employed the last two seasons was a slow, half court tempo, (pace of play 200th in the nation this season) that played against his strengths in the open floor? Was it Hopkins fault that his team shot 31% from three, which ranked 297th (out of 327) in the nation?

Hopkins isn’t perfect, but he is a far better player then the fans of Moody ever wanted to give him credit for. B-Hop will have a long basketball career playing in Europe or the minor leagues of the United States, and hopefully he will join his childhood friend, Bosh, in the NBA someday. He deserves to get to develop his skills without the burden of being “The Man.”

For me, Hopkins showed a humility in the face of criticism that I hope I can be in a position to exhibit someday. He never pointed fingers, brought up injuries, or questioned his decision to come to SMU when he could have gone anywhere in the nation. I personally will miss him, but I know I will tell my kids about the dunks Hopkins had over numerous big men that were a foot taller then him, the game winner he hit against a ranked Purdue team, and that obscene game he had against Tulsa when he hit five NBA 3-pointers in my home state of California at the WAC tournament. I just hope Mustang fans do the same.