UP tries to bring drivers and pedestrians safety to Daniel, Hillcrest intersection

The intersection at Daniel and Hillcrest Avenues will be getting a makeover, which is supposed to ease  traffic congestion and create a safer walk for pedestrians. 

The University Park City Council approved a plan that would create two east-bound lanes on Daniel Avenue: a through lane and a dedicated left-hand turn lane during their Aug. 24 meeting. 

The south curb of Daniel Avenue will be moved about six feet to make room for the additional lane.

The estimated cost of the project is $48,000, according to Gene R. “Bud” Smallwood, UP’s director of public works.

Smallwood said the project can be completed in a short period, but UP has to order the new signal head. That order will take four to six months.

The proposal is a response to “discussions regarding the number of pedestrian-vehicle accidents at the Hillcrest-Daniel intersection,” according to the agenda memo. 

Smallwood said the added left-turn lane would hopefully help people be mindful of pedestrians crossing the street. Now, he said, drivers may be more worried about making a quick left-hand turn than about pedestrians.

The additional east-bound lane will also lessen congestion, Smallwood said, and make traffic much more efficient.

“Cars won’t stack up,” he said.