A shorts story

A shorts story
A shorts story

A shorts story

You’ll never guess what fashion item is making a huge come back. Give up? OK, I’ll tell you – shorts! Yes, ladies, shorts. Remember about five years ago when you traded in your trendy denim shorts for a hot denim mini skirt? Well, they’re back and even better than ever and are predicted to be a huge trend this summer.

These new “city shorts” earned their name because shorts are no longer strictly beachwear – they are making their way into city fashion. City shorts come in all lengths, styles and materials. The key to pulling of this über-hot trend is to make sure your shorts are not too short or too tight and, please, skip the pleated front! It’s all about wearing your city shorts a little baggy and low on the hip and loosely. You are trying to look fabulous, not frumpy. It’s all about being tasteful, sassy and dressing to compliment your body type.

If short-shorts are not your thing, don’t fear: you can go with a longer Bermuda short that stops just above the knee and look even more chic than those Daisy Dukes of last summer.

Another tip is to make sure you go for a specific look – whether you choose the trendy boho look or the new safari look, make sure it shows. When going for the boho look, wear your shorts with a romantic blouse or a camisole and lots of metal accessories and a big belt. When going for the safari look, complete your outfit with either wooden accessories or accessories in crocodile or zebra prints.

If you want to go for the more conservative Ralph Lauren-style look, you can rock a pair of tailored white shorts with a slightly loose fit that stops right above the knee. On the top wear a polo style top and a coat or a blazer. Add a pair of chic heels (nothing too pointy,) small accessories and of course, a killer bag. You will look oh-so grown up and chic!

Also remember it’s not all about denim; try a color like white, navy or army green in a more dressy material, such as trouser material or pressed cotton. You can pair your new city shorts with a chic blazer, or a retro graphic tee and tons of accessories.

But, ladies, remember to be careful of your shoe choice. Shoes can make or break an outfit.

When wearing city shorts, don’t go for your tallest pair of ultra pointed stilettos. You want to keep it classy: Try some espadrilles, sandals, boots or even some cutesy flats to give your outfit your own unique flare.

Whitney Patterson is a sophomore CCPA major and can be reached at [email protected].