Live strong: The seven best foods for your bones

Ever since we were little, we have been hearing the cliché: building strong bones and muscles comes from drinking milk. Well, if your mother was as persistent as mine, you are probably pretty sick of milk . So, you ask, “How can I build strong bones and muscles without downing a few glasses of milk a day?” I have your saving vice!

SeedsSunflower seeds are the best. These little babies have loads of bone-building magnesium. Eat them as a snack, or put them on salads, cottage cheese or yogurt.

Tap WaterPay for water no more. Drinking tap water is good for your bones because of its high fluoride content. Fluoride helps prevent cavities and adds to bone density.

SpinachCalling Popeye the sailor man! Spinach and other leafy greens are packed with calcium, magnesium and vitamin K, all essential nutrients needed for bone and muscle strength. Vitamin K is crucial in forming bone proteins and is vital for calcium absorption to take place in the body. There’s a whole new meaning to going green!

NutsBones are living organs encompassed of live cells and fluid. Every movement we make breaks down bone cells, and it is up to our bodies to rebuild them. Walnuts decrease the rate of bone breakdown due to their high omega-3 fatty acid content.

FishVitamin D, much like vitamin K, is essential for calcium absorption. Just a 3.5-ounce serving of salmon has 90 percent of the daily-recommended value of vitamin D. So put a slab on the grill, bake it in the oven or get some sushi for a rush of vitamin D!

BeansBeans, beans, the magical fruit. The more you eat, the … stronger your bones! Pinto, kidney, black and white beans are best. They are a great source of magnesium and calcium as well.