Taking out the trash

RLSH should keep garbage cans where they belong — in dorms

This week Resident Life and Student Housing erroneously took outall community trashcans in residence halls.

The next few weeks will include an influx of trash around theresidence halls, as students discard a semester’s worth ofodds and ends. This is alleged to make the janitorial staffs’job more difficult. However, RSLH is wrong in placing the troubleon students.

In addition to the hassles of studying for finals and moving outof dorms in time, students must now lug their trash straight to thedumpsters. Some students may be lazy, but many are strapped fortime.

While the powers that be may move dumpsters closer to thedormitories many residents will opt out of the trip outside.

Taking away the community trashcans does not eliminate waste indormitory hallways. Students will continue to leave their garbagein the trashcans’ former location

This is far worse than having to empty the trashcans multipletimes per day. Eventually, the janitorial staff will have to cleanup the halls including the flood of trash.

Lack of money tends to be a common complaint from SMU officials.They should stop lamenting about the dearth of funds which mayeventually cause them to spend more of what they don’t have.It will cost more to clean stained carpets than to pay the staffbonuses.

Although the janitorial staff is not usually expected to takeout the trash multiple times a day they can make an exception for aweek. RLSH should compensate the staff for their extra effort.

This is what housing fees pay for, right?