U.S. Ambassador to Mexico praises grads

U.S. Ambassador to Mexico praises grads
U.S. Ambassador to Mexico praises grads

U.S. Ambassador to Mexico praises grads

SMU alumnus Antonio O. Garza, Jr. spoke to students and theirfamily and friends at the university’s commencement ceremonyin Moody Coliseum on May 15.

Garza began by praising the new graduates. “You are goingto be joining the ranks of some exceptional graduates,” hesaid, referring to famous alumni such as First Lady Laura Bush,Academy-Award winning actress Kathy Bates and Nobel-prize physicistJames Cronin.

Garza went on to highlight moments that he thought made thiscampus proud over the past year, including the Delta Delta Deltasorority’s aid toward refugees, the success of MustangMarathon and its beneficiaries, and the four student-athletes whowill trade their Pony ears for National Football League jerseysnext season.

He continued by giving the graduates advice for the future.”Never give up,” he said, “As you receive yourdiploma today, remember it is yours for a lifetime…make themost of it.”

He encouraged the Class of 2004 to follow in his footsteps andcontinue the tradition of excellence instilled by SMU.

“Keep smiling after the parties are over,” he said,”because they will end. But your life is justbeginning.”

Garza then pushed students to embrace the challenges anduncertainty that lies ahead.

“Don’t be afraid to pack your bags again and againand again,” he said. “If you don’t, you aremissing a chance to learn about others. Get out, explore a little,and get a better sense of what you believe in and why.”

As the ambassador began to end his speech, he reflected upon aquote by poet Henry Longfellow, who said, “When we walk tothe edge of all the light we know and take a step into the darknessof the unknown, we must believe that one of two things will happen.There will be something solid for us to stand on or we will betaught to fly.”

Garza reminded graduates that it is now their time to fly and tomake of their life whatever they choose.

He put the finishing touch on his commencement speech by quotingthe king of truancy, Ferris Bueller: “Life moves pretty fast.If you don’t stop and look around once in a while, you mightmiss it.”

A 1983 SMU Law grad and the U.S. Ambassador to Mexico, Garzamost recently made headlines at SMU when he was honored with thelaw school’s Distinguished Alumni Award in 2001.

In 1989, he was recognized as one of five Outstanding TexasExes.

Garza served next to then-governor George W. Bush asTexas’ Secretary of State before being elected as the 41stRailroad Commissioner in 1998, becoming the first HispanicRepublican to be elected to a statewide office in Texas.

In November of 2002, he assumed his current post as the U.S.Ambassador to Mexico.