Dedman law school second in survey

Magazine rates marketability of Texas program graduates

A recent article by Lisa M. Whitley of Texas Law magazine rated SMU’s Dedman School of Law the second highest in the state for producing marketable graduates. First place went to the University of Texas Law School.

“We’re very pleased with the way businesses perceive us,” said John Attanasio, dean of Dedman School of Law. “I was surprised by the article. Someone told me that they had read the article in an Indianapolis newspaper, so I believe this story even made the wires.”

In the article, published Jan. 6, the 25 largest Texas firms graded Texas law schools on different criteria. Hiring partners, employment directors, recruiting directors and managing partners graded the schools on a scale from one to five — with five being the best score — in 20 areas. Responses were averaged to compile a final score in each area. Then, all 20 scores were averaged again to comprise an overall ranking.

Dedman Law school earned an overall ranking of 4.29. Its students received the highest mark of 4.70 for their perceived abilities to work within teams. SMU also garnered high marks in the organization of its on-campus interview process (4.67), and the efficiency and helpfulness of its career services office (4.62). The law school received its lowest marks in the areas of the past success firms have had in terms of the number of graduates hired from this school (3.79) and the perceived strategic-thinking skills of its students (3.90).

UT’s law school topped the charts for the second consecutive year with an overall score of 4.43 — .23 less than its score of 4.66 last year. UT’s highest score this year was a 4.82 for its core curriculum followed by a 4.69 for the organization of its on-campus interview program. UT students scored 4.64 for their perceived abilities to work within teams and their leadership potential. Students also are perceived as being able to fit easily within various firm cultures (4.62). Its lowest marks came in the areas of past successes firms have had in the number of graduates they’ve hired (4.07) and in their success in retaining UT grads (4.07).

Attanasio is happy with Dedman’s second-place ranking.

“We are fortunate to have so many people interested in us,” Attanasio said. “With some of the special guests that frequently speak for us, the dedication of our faculty and staff and generous endowments we have been able to give our students a competitive education.”