Recruits shown ropes

With the Mustang football team losing one starter on offense and two on defense, it will be a reloading year rather than a rebuilding year for the football program.

Over the weekend, roughly 20 prospective SMU football players were shown the ropes by returning SMU players. Many SMU football players returned early from their holidays to welcome the new prospective athletes.

Current SMU students and athletes got to meet and share experiences and information with the high school seniors.

Freshman reciever Daniel Francis, on the other side of the recruiting visit last year, knows the importance of SMU gaining the highest level of talent possible.

“In order to win games we have to get good players,” Francis said. “Coaches coach, but the players play.”

The Mustangs are looking not only at the top talent in Texas, but are also venturing out of state, to find what many may consider “diamonds in the rough.”

Every team is looking for that jewel,” sophomore running back Shanderrick Charles said. “I think it’s a good thing that we are going after players from other states.”

With one recruiting weekend left, the Mustangs have secured most of their prospective players.  Mustang fans will find out who will sign to play at SMU on February 6th, National Signing Day.

Several of the recruits have already committed to SMU.

Verbal CommitmentsThree of Texas? Top 100 Recruits have committed to SMU

Zach Hall
Linebacker
Irving, TX
6’3″ 225lbs
40 yard: 4.7

Desmond Jones
Defensive Tackle
Dallas, TX (Carter)
6’1″ 260lbs
40 yard: 4.8

Caleb Peveto
Offensive Tackle
Flower Mound, TX
6’4″ 275lbs
40 yard: 5.0