The Way I See It: Something every American should realize: the end might be near

Every American has the image in their head that America is the world leader. Name anything and they will most likely spout off a “U.S.A” chant and tell you how awesome the United States is.

I’m exaggerating a little, but I would like to point out one very obvious key point that the United States should be, but is not, leading the world. We are actually falling far behind.

Over 100 heads of state met yesterday at the United Nations for an unprecedented day-long conference concerning climate change.

This is unprecedented because never before have so many nations agreed that a change must be made and devoted so much time to formal discussion of the matter.

The two stars of the conference were President Obama, and Chinese leader Hu Jintao, both are leaders of the world’s two most emitting countries. The difference between the two countries: one has already began to take action, and one has been bogged down by political debate. Ill give you a hint: the one taking action and leading the world makes a killer egg roll.

The fact of the matter is, China, while it emits closely equivalent to what the United States does, economically is no match. Still a third world country, however rapidly growing and industrializing, China has many more difficulties limiting carbon emissions than the United States would, but is emerging as top dog on the matter.

Aside from the climate change debate, it is a fact that sooner rather than later a world wide shift in energy policy is inevitable as many experts foresee peak oil merely years away, if not already reached.

China has already made it possible for a solar energy industry to thrive economically in its borders. Not only that the developing nation has committed to increasing the use of non-fossil fuels and nuclear power to 15 percent in 10 years.

In a recent column in The New York Times, Thomas Friedman highlights the fact that of the world’s 14 largest solar panel producing factories, exactly zero are in the United States. This is a very sad fact that the world has gotten an early start and the United States continues to hit the snooze button on this issue. The early bird will get the worm, and the worm is a thriving, green job producing, economy boosting, alternate energy industry. This will ultimately be the downfall of the U.S. economy as the world leader (if we don’t implode on ourselves first).

I am not sure as to where the debate is. What about renewable clean energy is a bad thing? Sure I understand the notion that subsidies and tax benefits will be required to bring the toddler industry to maturity, but so what? Why let the world pass us by on the future cornerstone of any economy? Is Congress so intertwined with big oil it is worth giving up the leader position as the worlds most innovative vibrant economy?

I say no. But if things don’t change, and politics shift toward the direction of the future, I hope you are taking Chinese as second language, its what all your bosses will be speaking in the future.