Prayer service held for SMU student

The apartment of SMU sophomore Chynna Stone remains boarded up Monday after a GMC Yukon driven by Brian Adams crashed through the front wall Friday afternoon.
John Schreiber

The apartment of SMU sophomore Chynna Stone remains boarded up Monday after a GMC Yukon driven by Brian Adams crashed through the front wall Friday afternoon. (John Schreiber)

Sophomore Chynna Stone was sitting on her couch in the living room of her apartment at 3459 McFarlin Avenue when SMU alumnus Brian Adams, 24, drove through her living room.

At 3:28 p.m. last Friday, University Park police officers responded to the accident and found a GMC Yukon had pinned Stone between the car and the back wall of the apartment.

Taken to Baylor Hospital, Stone was listed in stable but serious condition, according to UP officer Lita Snellgrove in a press release.

Adams was not injured in the accident and has been charged with intoxication assault. Adams is a 2006 alumnus of SMU.

On Monday, students gathered in the small chapel in the Catholic Student Community Center for a prayer service on behalf of Stone.

SMU Chaplain Dr. William M. Finnin, Jr. led the service that included Bible passage readings, prayer and a statement from Stone’s family.

Finnin offered thanks during the service for Stone’s recovery and said it was “moving positively.” He also offered prayer for Stone’s family and friends and those involved in her recovery process.

Stone’s family did not attend the service, choosing to remain by her bedside in intensive care. However, they issued a statement saying they were shocked and saddened by the accident.

“We, too, are praying for a speedy recovery,” they said.