‘Sarah Marshall’ proves unforgettable

The ad campaign for “Forgetting Sarah Marshall” is brilliant. A few weeks ago, stark white billboards with bold black handwriting cropped up all over the place, sporting statements like, “I’m so over you, Sarah Marshall,” “You do look fat in those jeans, Sarah Marshall,” “You suck, Sarah Marshall” and even “My mother always hated you, Sarah Marshall.” Ouch. I feel bad for Sarah Marshalls the world over.

Still, the outspoken ads live up to the film they promote. “Forgetting Sarah Marshall” is just as clever and funny as its promotions suggest. The film is directed by Nicholas Stoller, written by the film’s star, Jason Segal (star of “Knocked Up” and TV’s “How I Met Your Mother”), and produced by Judd Apatow, the only man in Hollywood who seems to know how to make a solid comedy anymore.

Segal stars as Peter, a shut-in of a guy who works as a composer for a television crime drama. Peter also happens to be dating the show’s star, Sarah Marshall (Kristen Bell, TV’s “Veronica Mars”). When she dumps him for a British rockstar (Russell Brand), Peter decides to take a trip to Hawaii to clear his head. Naturally, Sarah and her new beau are staying at the same resort, leading to a number of awkward situations. While avoiding Sarah, Peter goes on a few dates with Rachel (Mila Kunis, TV’s “That ’70s Show”), the hotel’s receptionist.

“Forgetting Sarah Marshall” is definitely better than some of the previous Apatow-produced romantic comedies, such as “Knocked Up” or “The 40-Year-Old Virgin.” Not many of us have had a one-night-stand result in pregnancy or spent 40 years as a virgin, but I think everyone has been through a rough breakup. This makes “Forgetting Sarah Marshall” much easier to identify with and a lot funnier.

Jason Segal is absolutely fantastic in this movie. His character is such a genuinely cool guy, even when he reveals that his lifelong dream is to write a musical about Dracula to be performed by puppets. Seriously. Segal’s chemistry with both Bell and Kunis is believable enough, even if there aren’t always sparks flying. Frankly, I think that just adds to the authenticity of the movie.

Russell Brand is the great surprise of this movie. Though he’s a British radio and television personality, he’s basically unknown here in the States. He plays rocker Aldous Snow as a total tool, but with enough heart to make you actually like him.

As far as the ladies go, Bell and Kunis portray polar opposites quite well. Bell plays a convincing television diva, while Kunis delivers as a laid-back college dropout. The interesting part about both performances is that you might find yourself rooting for either woman to end up with Peter. Their portrayals are so layered that Bell’s character is never completely evil while Kunis’ character isn’t totally perfect.

Half the fun of “Forgetting Sarah Marshall” is enjoying the supporting cast members who pop up from time to time. Look for Paul Rudd as an idiot surf instructor, Jonah Hill as a hotel employee and “30 Rock’s” Jack McBrayer as a nervous newlywed.

The more I think about this movie, the more I really like it. It’s hilarious and charming without being overly sappy. Whether it’s with a full-frontal shot of a nude Jason Segal or a comically terrible musical performance from Russell Brand, “Forgetting Sarah Marshall” delivers laughs from beginning to end.