Quidditch, muggles and wizards

Fan-made ‘Harry Potter’ encyclopedia should be given the green light

Harry Potter author J.K. Rowling is angry. No, not because there are critics out to get her for announcing that popular character Dumbledore is gay. It’s not because she thinks the “Harry Potter” movies don’t do her novels justice, either. She’s mad at a fan-run “Harry Potter” Web site she once called her “natural home.”

The Web site, The Harry Potter Lexicon, is basically an encyclopedia for all things Potter. It’s a collection of history, spells, potions and extremely in-depth information compiled by fans. Rowling herself has hailed the site, saying that she even used it while writing her final books. But now, she’s pulled a complete 180.

Rowling has gone to court this week after it was announced the Lexicon would be turned into a book and published by a small company, RDR Books. She’s screaming for copyright infringement, and claiming she’s been emotionally damaged by the forthcoming publication of the book. Seriously? Give us a break.

We understand why Rowling might be slightly upset at the notion of someone else banking off her creative work, but the British writer is one of the world’s richest women. Would her pocketbook really take that much of a hit from a print version of a Web site that’s available to everyone already for absolutely no charge?

Rowling had announced that she was planning on creating her own encyclopedia chronicling the Potter saga, and that the proceeds would go to charity. Now, she says the Lexicon incident has caused her to rethink writing the companion piece.

RDR and the Lexicon’s defense rests in the fact that the published encyclopedia is just that – a companion piece and a reference guide. They claim the Web site’s interpretation and analysis of the work constitutes as fair use. Rowling refuses to agree.

Perhaps royalties should be paid to Rowling, but the book should not be stopped from hitting shelves. It’s no different from the countless encyclopedias and companion pieces to other literary works. There are many “Star Wars” books including multiple encyclopedias that were not written by George Lucas. Books like these allow fans to dive deeper into a world they truly love and care about.

To stop the publishing of the Harry Potter Lexicon would be a disservice not only to Potter fans from around the globe, but to Rowling herself.