SMU Sports Briefs

• The SMU men’s basketball team will host cross-town rival TCU Sunday at 5 p.m.  There will be a pre-game fiesta complete with music, inflatables and interactive games. There will also be a pre-game party at Macho Pizza, 2820 Henderson Ave. , next to Cuba Libre. Any student can be a Maniac. The cost is $5. If you were a Maniac last year and have your shirt, renewal is free. To sign up or renew contact Alan Garcia at (214)768-4053.
  • The SMU men’s cross country team is ranked No. 20 in the nation this week according to the MONDO Cross Country poll conducted by the United States Cross Country Coaches Association. The team finished second at the NCAA South Central Regional on Saturday to qualify for the 2002 NCAA Cross Country Championships, just two points behind second-ranked Arkansas. The second-place finish tied for SMU’s best-ever finish at the regional meet and comes on the heels of their 2002 WAC title.
  • The SMU men’s swimming & diving team announced Thursday the signing of Ian Clark, from Malvern, Pa. Clark, who is the younger brother of current SMU women’s swimmer Corrie Clark, a 2002 U.S. National finalist over the summer. He is also a member of the United States Junior Team.
  • The SMU women’s basketball team will host a benefit tournament this Friday and Saturday. All proceeds from the tournament will go to the Susan G. Komen Breast Cancer Foundation. SMU, Wake Forest, LaSalle and Stony Brook will compete in the two-day tournament. For more information contact Claire Schmidt in the SMU Athletic Media Relations Dept. at (214) 768-1054.

Tournament schedule:

Friday, Nov. 22

Wake Forest vs. LaSalle 5 p.m.
    SMU vs. Stony Brook – 7 p.m.

Saturday, Nov. 23

Consolation Game – 5 p.m.
    Championship Game – 7 p.m.