Police follow leads, track robbery suspect

The SMU Police Department is continuing to work with the DallasCounty Sheriff’s Department, the Dallas Police Department,University Park Police and Highland Park Police to catch tworobbers who held up two SMU students at gunpoint Aug. 7.

The two suspects approached the two students, a man and a woman,from Potomac Street as the students neared the Ford Stadium’sGate 7. According to a campus alert issued the same day, one of themen was armed with a blue steel revolver, possibly a .38caliber.

The students were ordered to lay face down on the ground whilethe suspects stole the man’s wallet and cell phone and thewoman’s purse. The robbers then ordered the victims to get upand run toward Mockingbird Lane.

SMU Police Chief Mike Snellgrove said the police department isworking diligently to find the suspects.

“We’re working hard to catch these guys, make nomistake,” Snellgrove said.

The police have interviewed several witnesses, tracked downusing the department’s biggest lead — the stolen cellphone.

“The suspects used the stolen cell phone to call people,and we’ve been able to get those numbers and track down thepeople they called,” Snellgrove said.

SMU PD also tracked purchases made on stolen credit cards, whichenabled them to find several additional witnesses.

Using descriptions of the two suspects provided by thewitnesses, University Park officers were able to compile acomposite of one of the suspects. He is described as a black malewith short black hair, last seen wearing a red T-shirt and darkpants. Both suspects are approximately 5-feet-8-inches to5-feet-11-inches tall and weigh approximately 140 pounds.

SMU PD provided the students with photos of possible suspects,based on the available information, but, so far, the students havebeen unable to make a positive identification.

When police track down the suspects, the evidence will be givento the Dallas County District Attorney’s office. The DA willthen take the case to a grand jury, which will either indict thesuspects or dismiss the case based on lack of evidence.

Snellgrove encourages students to be cautious at all times.

“Safety is paramount,” he said.

To remain safe, the chief wants to remind the campus communityto always be aware of their surroundings, walk in well-lit areasand never walk alone if possible. If a student thinks he or she isbeing followed, he or she should go to the nearest emergency phoneand call police.

Remember the SMU Police offer a 24-hour safety escorts on thecampus, which can be called by dialing 214-768-3333. When returningfrom nearby establishments, the police can meet you as you enterthe campus. Also available this semester is the Giddy-Up shuttle, asix-person golf cart, driven by volunteer students. The shuttlewill be in constant motion around campus. Students can either hailit as they walk around campus or call the 24-hour police line andask for a pick-up.

Anyone with information about this incident is asked to callthe SMU Police Department at 214-768-3388 or send an e-mail [email protected].