Eco-Fashion Show concludes competition Friday

RecycleMania, a two-month long national competition where universities are encouraged to promote recycling in communities, wraps up at SMU with an Eco-Friendly fashion show Friday.

SMU’s resident hall environmental hall representatives are putting on the second annual Eco-Friendly fashion show to try and help people become conscious of the impact of clothing on the environment.

All designs must use at least 75 percent reclaimed, recycled, natural and/or organic materials.

“Clothing is a basic need that affects essentially every person on Earth. The fashion industry for the United States alone impacts almost every country on Earth, more often than not in a negative way,” resident hall environmental hall representative Samuel Beyer said. “Events like Eco-Friendly Fashion Show are a celebration of fashion that is sustainable and how it can have a positive impact in our world community.”

The show allows students to be creative without impacting the Earth negatively.

“As oil prices increase, our economy will begin to turn to many sustainable alternatives; the clothing industry has vast potential to lead in this movement with creative materials and designs,” Beyer said. “Clothing made of materials such as organic cotton, recycled plastic and reused cotton are already available on the market.”

In addition to the fashion show, residence halls competed in a recycling challenge, as a part of RecycleMania. Winners were determined by weight of amount of recycled material and trash collected each week.

According to Beyer, the final results are not in yet, but Smith hall and Perkins hall have been in the lead for the past few weeks.

Matthew Bolaños competed in the fashion show last year, winning “Most Wearable.”

He believes in the cause and will participate again this year.

“The eco fashion show is the perfect opportunity to show how we can improve the way we treat our earth without compromising things we love, like fashion,” Bolaños said.

Admittance is free for students and food will be provided.

Students only need to bring a recyclable item to enjoy the show and food. The show will be Friday from 6 p.m. to 7 p.m. in the Hughes-Trigg Student Center Varsity.