Student Senate filled with farewells in last meeting

The afternoon was filled with many acknowledges, applauses and a few tears.

The Student Senate meeting Tuesday was the last one of the year and for some, the last for their SMU career.

Austin Prentice, current student body president thanked everyone for a great year and gave advice to the future members.

Prentice discussed many of the items that were covered this year and changes that were made.

“I always talk about how this is the best university in the country,” Prentice said.

Student Body Vice President Alex Ehmke, Student Body Secretary Martha Pool and Speaker Chair Ted Belden all said their thank-you’s for a wonderful year and to the committee’s hard work ethic as well.

“I loved working with all of you, I hope you all loved working with me,” Belden said.

Chief of Staff and student body president elect, Alex Mace also thanked everyone for a great year and expressed his anticipation for the year to come.

“I’m really excited going into next year,” Mace said.

Mace discussed three new positions that are still up for running; chief of staff, parliamentarian and speaker.

These positions will be determined later on this year.

Next, Executive Director Jennifer Jones introduced the three seniors who have represented the Student Senate for all four years.

After they all expressed their gratitude and memories, Jones asked everyone to stand and sing The Varsity to honor the four students and their hard work.

Several visitors addressed their concerns to Senate as well.

Chandler Schlegel, SMU senior journalism major, announced the Centennial Brick Campaign.

This encourages students to purchase a brick for $100 and will be placed at the centennial walkway.

The bricks will be there for a lifetime.

“My parents came here and they have a brick, it is a really special and sentimental thing,” Schlegel said.

For more information on how to purchase a brick visit smu.edu/pavers.

Lila Friedlander, freshman and member of New Century Scholars, announced “Lights of Love” a capture the flag tournament which will be held this Sunday from 8 p.m. to 11 p.m.

Teams of six to eight people are encouraged to register by Friday at 5 p.m.

The event will benefit Vogel Alcove, an organization that helps homeless children.

There will be T-shirts and free food for all. The winning team will receive Rangers tickets.

Next, a few of the committees briefly spoke about current and perspective plans.

The finance committee discussed the SMU sailing teams wish for funding for new boats; the currents boats are too old.

The Membership committee passed out flyers for inauguration, which is April 24 at 3 p.m. in the Hughes-Trigg commons.

The organizations, scholarship and communications committees thanked everyone for their hard work.

The meeting ended by going over several old pieces of legislation.

Joseph Esau, senior and electrical engineering and math major and communication committee chair, had addressed last meeting about an addition of a spirit shop in the Hughes-Trigg Student Center. The legislation was passed.

Esau also addressed the idea of changing the title of the Dedman 1 senator position. The legislation was passed.

“This waas my last piece of legislation I will ever write in the SMU student senate,” Esau said.

The final piece of legislation discussed was to honor of the services of Rose Torres. Torres is the program coordinator for the Hunt Leadership Scholars. She has worked at SMU for 14 years. The legislation was passed.

The 90th student senate meeting and final meeting of the 2011 to 2012 school year was adjourned.