‘Take the Lead’ is predictable but fun

While it’s not exactly a solid film, “Take the Lead,” the new dance movie starring Antonio Banderas, is fun to watch.

Directed by Liz Friedlander, “Take the Lead” is a little more than “Save the Last Dance” meets “Mad Hot Ballroom.” But, depending on perspective and taste, that could be a good thing.

The film focuses on ballroom dance teacher Pierre Dulaine (Banderas,) who decides it would really benefit the rough inner-city kids he sees in the streets to learn to ballroom dance. He convinces their principal (Alfre Woodard) of this as well and soon begins working everyday after school with the schools toughest cases, in addition to a girl (Lauren Collins) from his cotillion dance class who merely lacks confidence. As can be expected, the teens are reluctant at first but eventually learn to embrace ballroom dancing.

“Take the Lead” features some of the most stereotypical teen characters seen in recent years. Some of them are angry, most of them are troubled and all of them are sassy. However, by the end of the film, the actors charm the audience into rooting for their cause.

The best part about “Take the Lead” is the dance sequences. They are artfully edited, giving the film an exciting feel of magic and fun. Overall, the film is definitely a crowd-pleaser. This makes sense in light of the recent success of television shows like “So You Think You Can Dance” and “Dancing With The Stars.'”

“Take the Lead,” though predictable and cliched, is enjoyable enough to leave audiences who like this type of movie with a smile on their faces and a spring in their step.