Mustangs will see two new faculty faces this semester

Development and External Affairs department welcomes Brad E. Cheves

The department for Development and External Affairs named BradE. Cheves as its new vice president. He succeeds Jeanne P. Whitmanwho left SMU to become head of The Hockaday School in Dallas.

Cheves worked under Whitman as associate vice president from1998-2001. In that time he was the associate director of TheCampaign for SMU, which raised $542 million for scholarships,academic programs and new facilities. After the campaign, he movedto Malibu, Calif., where he served as vice president foradvancement and public affairs at Pepperdine University for threeyears before returning to SMU.

The opportunity to work at SMU again as well as thefamily-friendly environment made coming back a non-issue for thereturning vice president.

“There is a strong sense of community in Dallas,”Cheves said. The department for development and external affairs ispreparing for other potential campaigns within the surroundingcommunities, he said.

Cheves said goals for the department include broadening thereach of SMU and drawing more alumni to the university, while thelong-term goal is to build a partnership and reach as many alumnias possible while furthering the school’s academic mission.”SMU has a proud heritage of alums from around theworld,” he said. “We want to engage themmore.”

Cheves received his undergraduate degree in business and financefrom Abilene Christian University. As a student he worked with SMUon the Texas Tuition Equalization Grant to equalize the tuitiondifference between public and private Texas universities andcolleges.

After graduating from Abilene, Cheves worked as chief of stafffor Bob Hunter of the Texas House of Representatives.

As an undergrad, Cheves’ ultimate goal was law school.After his time with the Texas Legislature he achieved his goal atPepperdine University.