Record-setting final round propels women to second

After two days of play at the Northwestern Invitational in California, the SMU women’s golf team found itself buried in the pack, 24 shots behind the leader, Kent State.

Then Tuesday happened.

On the final day, the women shot a 279, 13 shots better than their closest competitor and vaulted past rivals like Baylor and TCU into a second-place finish.

They also earned a place in SMU’s record books, earning the records for lowest team round and lowest team tournament score.

“Having a really good final round like that prepares us for the conference [tournament] and the NCAAs,” said junior Jennifer Ackerson, who tied with fellow junior Laura Cross for sixth.

The remainder of the Mustang team all finished inside the tournament top 20. Kate Ackerson placed ninth, Lacey Jones took 13th and Kristina Rothengatter rounded out the team at 20th.

Ackerson credited improved play, not an easy course, for the strong finish.

“There were definitely easy holes to make birdie, but there were also some holes that would get you if you miss-hit off the tee,” Ackerson said.

Ackerson said she and Cross, who shot identical three-under 69s on the final day, don’t consider themselves as competing against each other, but cheer one another on.

“Afterward, we said if we want to shoot two under and tie for sixth any time, that’s fine,” Ackerson said.

The women hope to do better than sixth in upcoming tournaments: They play in Norman, Okla. this weekend, and the Conference USA tournament begins on Easter.

“We haven’t really put it all together at one time,” Ackerson said. “This is a good time to be peaking.”

Golfweek ranks SMU’s women’s team 24th in the nation. Its closest competitor in C-USA is Tulsa, ranked 37th. SMU’s Lacey Jones is the highest ranked individual player on the team at No. 68.