Less bling more blitz

Habitat for Humanity build trumps SMU stereotype

Southern Millionaires University – that is what some people call it. However, I prefer to think that we are a campus rich with potential, not just money. The culture of “CEOs and corporate hos” has received enough publicity. Let the record show that our potential is not always channeled in the most productive ways, but sometimes it is.

Four-hundred and six – that is how many SMU students participated in the sixth annual Habitat for Humanity Blitz Build. Thank you to Tri Delta, Kappa Kappa Gamma, Delta Gamma, Chi Omega, Kappa Alpha Theta, Pi Beta Phi, Lambda Chi Alpha, Delta Sigma Pi, Sigma Alpha Epsilon, Club Tennis, Girls’ Varsity Soccer, Christian groups (BYX and HIS), Cox graduate students, the Muslim Student Association and the SMU Service House for sending members to volunteer.

Chances are good that many of you reading this article worked on siding, roofing or painting. Maybe you went to fulfill a mandatory service requirement, but you went, you built, and you gave up your time for someone else.

“Once students got a cup of coffee, and a tool belt they were eager for an assignment,” said the volunteer coordinator, Jane Parker. “I know that SMU may have a certain reputation for being materialistic, but time and again the SMU habitat volunteers have proven that to be the exception and not the rule. They are always energetic and proud of their work,” she added.

The SAE fraternity most notably demonstrated this true spirit of service. Not only did they send the most volunteers, they donated the most money to Habitat for Humanity by purchasing T-shirts and writing an unsolicited $300 check.

Maybe a different nickname would be more appropriate because clearly there are many students who do not fit the “Southern Millionaires University” reputation (nor do they want to). It is time to stop giving this stereotype so much attention. Why not put our mouths where our actions already seem to be?

The SMU Habitat for Humanity chapter is relatively small and still trying to make a name for itself, but that does not keep it from planning big. The goal is to raise enough money to fund the construction of a home in Guatemala or Ecuador and to send 10 SMU students to the site through Habitat’s Global Village Program. The cost is estimated at $10,000. With SAE’s help, T-shirt sales and other fundraising efforts, one-third of the money has already been collected. If you are interested in giving of your time, talent or treasure to help the SMU Habitat for Humanity Chapter reach its goal, contact co-presidents Lauren Lester and Katie Brattain. ([email protected] and [email protected]).

Katie Brattain is a sophomore Spanish and markets and culture major. She can be reached at [email protected].