Senators want light-up crosswalk near sorority row

Student Sens. Whitney Stenger and Taylor Thornley are petitioning University Park to install a light-up crosswalk near sorority row.

The two senators visited the Panhellenic and Interfraternity Council meetings on Thursday to gain support from the female Greek community, according to Thornley.

Next, they hope to get general support from the student community, Stenger says.

In addition to the petition, Sens. Sarah Acosta, Michael Goodman and Erika Briceno have submitted a resolution to Student Senate that urges the administration to “take the necessary steps to urge University Park to install a light-up crosswalk(s) at sorority row for the safety of students.”

The senators hope that a crosswalk like one near the Dedman School of Law and Dedman Center for Lifetime Sports can be installed near sorority row to prevent SMU student pedestrians from car-related accidents.

The petition and legislation come after several recent near-misses and one hit-and-run incident that occurred in 2001.

The hit-and-run involved SMU students Katherine Gordon, then 20, and Jacqueline Nochisaki, then 19. Gordon suffered a broken pelvis, punctured bladder and a twisted knee. She underwent surgery to repair four breaks in her pelvis.

Nochisaki also broke her pelvis and needed 18 stitches in her head after being thrown 82 feet from the impact site.

Thornley says Student Senate has had trouble getting information about how to get the crosswalk installed. According to Acosta, the city of University Park has been hesitant to install the crosswalk “because of complicated construction or something like that.”

“We’ve decided to rally support and then tap into every resource we can to raise awareness for this,” she said. “The crosswalk is so dangerous. It’s a blind corner and gets so much traffic every day.”

Senators will vote on the resolution Tuesday.

“We want the entire school and city to know how serious we are about getting these flashing lights installed for the safety of SMU students and visitors,” Stenger said.