Spring Break memories are reminders of life lessons

For Spring Break, my roommate Jessica and I, along with our friend Emilee, drove to the mountains of Colorado, where Emilee’s parents have a cabin.

In order to get there in daylight and avoid having to drive on winding mountain roads at night, we had to leave early. Very early. Thanks to the daylight savings time switch, that meant 1:45 a.m.

The first few hours of the drive were difficult for Jessica and I; Emilee, on the other hand, laid out in the backseat and slept soundly for four hours.

On the drive to Colorado, some exciting things happened.

In Amarillo, we passed the Jesus Christ Is Lord Travel Center, which kindly reminded us not to take His name in vain.

One member of our group—I’m not saying who—got a speeding ticket in Clayton, New Mexico, from a very friendly police officer. We learned that Des Moines, New Mexico is just about the most depressing place on earth (no offense to any Des Moinesians out there).

Finally, as we approached the cabin, a giant Smokey Bear told us that the threat of forest fires was only moderate. This may have been reassuring to mountain veterans, but to me, any threat of forest fires did not sound like a good time.

Our first night, Emilee’s parents took us out to a delicious restaurant where Emilee’s mom tried to set the waiter up with Emilee’s cousin.

It was exactly as awkward as it sounds.

The next morning, her parents departed, leaving three college kids to figure out how to survive in the mountains with no cell phones or Internet.

We went hiking high in the mountains. I discovered my penchant for boldly climbing up rocks, only to discover immediately following that there’s no good way down; on one risky descent, I lost my footing and slid 30 feet before managing to grab onto a rock.

We enjoyed the night sky and found out what stars look like away from the city. We read and ate and slept.

While driving around a particularly steep and winding road, our car went careening off the side of a cliff. Luckily, Emilee is a friend to all of nature’s creatures. She stuck her head out the window and cawed and an eagle came and caught our car, placing us gently back on the road. (That didn’t happen? Prove it.)

After three days and four nights, it was time to head back to Dallas. The trip back was a lot like the trip there, except no one got a ticket.

Just as we were about to leave New Mexico, we passed a billboard proclaiming that the end of the world is near— May 21st, 2011. There was a website listed, www.wecanknow.com (Noah knew, WeCanKnow!), and I couldn’t resist taking a peek.

There were lots of Bible quotes and a creepy countdown to Judgement Day in the corner, but after an hour of reading the site, I still couldn’t figure out how they came up with that particular date. Perhaps I am not one of the chosen few God has decided to let in on the secret.

I don’t have a whole lot of opinion in this opinion column, except to say that these are the kinds of college memories that will live with us for years, long after we’ve forgotten the Fundamental Theorem of Calculus and the dates of the Protestant Reformation.

Every once in a while, it’s good to remember that friends and family really are the most important thing in life.

Oh, and also that as of today, you have exactly two months to live before Christ comes down bringing with him the apocalypse. So make it count.

Nathaniel French is a senior theater major. He can be reached for comment at [email protected].