Results hard to gauge at Red and Blue Game

SMUs Chris Butler continues driving while being brought down by a defender.
John Schreiber
SMU’s Chris Butler continues driving while being brought down by a defender.

SMU’s Chris Butler continues driving while being brought down by a defender. (John Schreiber)

The June Jones era got off to a start Saturday afternoon at Ford Stadium.

It’s just that no one is quite sure how to describe it.

One fan riding the elevator tried to put a positive spin on things, saying, “At least SMU won, right?”

Even that statement would be a stretch as Saturday’s Red and Blue game wasn’t a game at all. In fact, calling it a scrimmage would be generous.

Nearly 3,500 fans got to watch a two-hour football practice featuring tackling dummies, position drills and no hitting allowed. The “scrimmage” part at the end featured the offense running plays from the 43-yard line.

“It’s the only way I’ve ever done it,” Jones said. “I really don’t want to get somebody hurt. We don’t have enough players to do that.”

Saturday afternoon’s proceedings were made even harder to gauge without the presence of two important people to the SMU offense – two-year starter Justin Willis and new recruit Bo Levi Mitchell.

Mitchell, one of Jones’ prize recruits who came with him to SMU from Hawaii, could battle Willis for the starting quarterback job in the fall. But with Mitchell finishing up high school and Willis suspended before spring football began, fans were treated to Logan Turner and Daniel Miller running the offense.

Jones said that a decision will be made on Willis’ status with the team at the end of the semester, which is one month from now. Willis has been relegated to the weight room along with safety Bryce Hudman – both were suspended for a violation of team rules.

“He’s done everything we asked so far so hopefully he’ll continue to do that,” Jones said.

As for the Turner and Miller, Turner received the bulk of the snaps at the end of the session. Turner was 10-of-14 for 87 yards. Miller, a walk-on player, was 5-of-6 for 27 yards. No touchdowns for either of the quarterbacks as Jones kept the reins on the offense with only short yardage passing

Jones did single out three receivers who stood out to him with their play during the spring: Aldrick Robinson, Emmanuel Sanders and Zach Zimmerman.

Jones also had kind words for running back DeMyron Martin, saying the running back would be a good player in the offense.

Jones said he was able to implement nearly all of his playbook in the 15 spring practices, but that plenty of work remains.

“We didn’t refine it, obviously,” Jones said. “We’ll go start over again in August the same way we did here.”