Family’s loss leads to cancer support program

Friends, community donate stuffed animals to comfort child patients

Adam’s Animals, a non-profit organization started by Jeff and Gena Hurst, was established in memory of their son Adam Hurst, who died of leukemia shortly after his high school graduation in 1999. The foundation began in summer 2000 and, at the time, was mainly supported by the community who gave stuffed animals to Adam’s family in remembrance of Adam’s death. It has since become a huge inspiration for children and families who are suffering from cancer.

The project involves the SMU, Dallas and North Texas communities who help to contribute stuffed animals in support of Adam’s Animals, that are then delivered to the North Texas Hospital for Children at Medical City, the hospital where Adam was treated.

“We would like to get bigger and hit other hospitals as well, but we first have to pay our allegiance to where Adam was treated and where they took such good care of him,” Jeff Hurst said.

Jeff and Gena, along with their son Chad and his wife Erica have strived to make Adam’s Animals the best it can possibly be. In 2000, Adam’s Animals received 1,117 animals; in 2001, 1,508 animals and so far in 2002, 2,060 animals which were delivered on Nov. 10, Adam’s birthday.

The Hurst family is appreciative of all the community support and encouragement.

“Gena and I are very thankful for all of our friends, neighbors, families and to those whom we don’t even know that have helped make Adam’s Animals a success,” Jeff said. “Without all these people we would not be able to help bring smiles, although only briefly, to all the children with cancer.”

Adam, who attended Plano Senior High School, was an aspiring young actor and very active with school productions. He had planned to go to Collin County Community College on a theater scholarship, but was diagnosed with leukemia shortly after high school graduation. He was at the hospital for eight days straight, and then when home, he had to return everyday for chemotherapy. On Aug. 17, 1999, (26 days after his diagnosis) Adam died.

On what would have been Adam’s 19th birthday, Gena and Jeff took mylar balloons with card games attached to all the children on the sixth floor of the Texas Hospital for Children at Medical City Dallas. A neighbor heard about what they were doing and brought one new stuffed animal for them to give to a child. Word spread quickly, and before they knew it, Adam’s Animals was born.

“This collection of Adam’s Animals memorializes a son, a friend, a fighter and an artist who infected all with laughter, even in his last days with us,” a family member said.

They hope Adam’s Animals will continue to grow and affect hospitals nationally. Presently, the Hurst family continues to be strong and move on with their loss, remembering Adam every step of the way.